truck 318 into 69 cuda

-

dtcuda

Reaction score
Hello I am new to this internet posting and I need some technical advice . I posted the project in the welcome forum. I may post it in this forum soon if I needed . I am a high school shop teacher and we are having difficulties determining how to proceed in this swap over. I have a truck engine with large rear main bearing cap that will not fit a car oil pan from a 70's fury that should fit the 69 K member . Any help is much appreciated. More info and pics are posted in the welcome forum under 318 truck engine into 69 cuda.
icon6.gif

Didn't you post earlier? I would guess the Fury pan is a 360 pan. The 360 pan has a SMALLER "half moon" in the rear, than all other SB engines.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=187677

The BLUE PAN is a 360 pan

In this photo you have them reversed end for end

We are looking at the REAR of the 318 pan on the left, and the FRONT of the 360 pan on the right

I'm not familiar with the magnums, but if the engine which originally had the blue pan mounted is a 318, then it has to be a Magnum engine, which is different than the older LA engines That is, the newer magnums, whether 360 or 318, share the same oil pan.

EDIT I re-read your other post. You BOUGHT the blue pan separate, right? SIMPLE The blue pan came off a 360, not a 318. You need a 318 pan and oil pump pickup, end of story. The Fury pan would have worked if the car had been a 318

attachment.php

67Dart273 is right the LA318 and the Magnum 318 do differ read below. The last 3 sentences especially. This was copied from a web site. It appears you'll need a pan that year engine.

Magnum engines did, however make some inroads into the traditional performance world, thanks in part to the direct interchangeability with the earlier LA engines on which they are based. Mopar Performance offered the Magnum crate engine for years in performance trim, and these engines were fully interchangeable with the earlier units. So, what distinguishes the Magnum from the earlier LA engines? The Magnum series engines were not dramatically different than the LA series, but rather a significant revision. Essentially, the blocks are the same as the earlier 318 and 360, with the major change being an additional set of mounting bosses on each side of the block to work with the truck motor mount system. 360.The original small-block "ear" style lugs were retained as well, so there is no interchangeability issue there. Another change is in the rear main-cap rail that the oil pan seals to. The 340 and smaller LA engines used a rear main cap with a different oil pan sealing rail than the 360, so the oil pans and end seals did not interchange. With the Magnum, the 5.2 was standardized to accept the same pan as the 360.

-
Back