Truck dies...IN EVERY GEAR!!

-

PanGasket

has cork sides
Reaction score
It just started doing this yesterday out of the blue. The transmission shifts fine but has no kickdown at the moment but that hasn't given me any trouble at all. It been having an issue with the brake booster lately that it will kill the engine when you stop or even if you are in park and just slam the brakes, but now, it just dies whenever you are sitting still, even if its in park!! Unless its stone cold, it won't run for long in park. It'll stay running in neutral or park if I give it a lil gas and hold it to keep it alive.

Please guys, anyone know what is causing this? Could it be a vacuum leak?

Sounds like the booster finally took a complete dump and the vacuum leak is just too much for it. Pull and block the hose off and see how she act's.

What's up with not running the kickdown? I also agree with plugging the booster line to see what happens.

It just started doing this yesterday out of the blue. The transmission shifts fine but has no kickdown at the moment but that hasn't given me any trouble at all. It been having an issue with the brake booster lately that it will kill the engine when you stop or even if you are in park and just slam the brakes, but now, it just dies whenever you are sitting still, even if its in park!! Unless its stone cold, it won't run for long in park. It'll stay running in neutral or park if I give it a lil gas and hold it to keep it alive.

whatever you do, get that fixed and set-up immediately. this will burn up your trans. if anything , at least tie it halfway back.

What's up with not running the kickdown? I also agree with plugging the booster line to see what happens.

whatever you do, get that fixed and set-up immediately. this will burn up your trans. if anything , at least tie it halfway back.

I just haven't had the money to buy the proper stuff to hook it back up. I've been babying the thing while it is not hooked up. I don't drive far to work at all and that's the only place I go. No burnouts, no nada. I get passed left and right constantly because I do the speed limit exactly, maybe 5 under.

It will be getting fixed next week after I order the lokar kickdown cable for my truck and drill a hole in some angle iron. Bam. fixed.

I just haven't had the money to buy the proper stuff to hook it back up. I've been babying the thing while it is not hooked up. I don't drive far to work at all and that's the only place I go. No burnouts, no nada. I get passed left and right constantly because I do the speed limit exactly, maybe 5 under.

i would suggest
if you absolutely need to drive it , get under there with some chevy wire and pull the TP (kickdown) arm almost all the way back and tie it there. at least you will be getting higher line pressure.

chevy wire

Attachments

• cot.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 245
also , like these guys are saying, plug the vacuum port where the booster line runs to on the intake and see how your engine runs. i bet it runs good. power brakes without a booster working do work, but it can be dangerous

i would suggest
if you absolutely need to drive it , get under there with some chevy wire and pull the TP (kickdown) arm almost all the way back and tie it there. at least you will be getting higher line pressure.

chevy wire

what do you mean by all the way back? mine goes up and down.

also , like these guys are saying, plug the vacuum port where the booster line runs to on the intake and see how your engine runs. i bet it runs good. power brakes without a booster working do work, but it can be dangerous

are you saying to just block it off and drive it or just do it as a test?

Trans issues aside....and i agree it has to be addressed soon before it lets you know it doesn't like shifting with no pressure, just block the vac to the booster and see if the engine runs properly. Not necessary to drive it unless you just want to driveway/yard test. That should tell you if the vacuum loss is causing your drivability issues.

he means back at the actual tranny(before the linkage converts to up and down), pull it towards the back of the truck.

Thank you!:cheers:

yes , thanks marty :D

any word on those stickers? :D

Thanks again, it'll get addressed tomorrow when I mess with it

Trans issues aside....and i agree it has to be addressed soon before it lets you know it doesn't like shifting with no pressure, just block the vac to the booster and see if the engine runs properly. Not necessary to drive it unless you just want to driveway/yard test. That should tell you if the vacuum loss is causing your drivability issues.

Thanks Rick, I'll definitely give that a shot tomorrow. :prayer:

I blocked off the vacuum port for it on the intake. My truck is still dying at all times unless I give it gas. Maybe my low idle circuit?

Not sure of the year, make model or engine but you obviously have a vacuum leak. It may or may not have anything to do with the booster. When you step on the brake pedal it pulls engine vacuum for assist. If you already have a vacuum leak this will kill the motor. It will run on its own while cold because the choke plate is closed increasing engine vacuum. Did you plug the brake vacuum line off at the intake? How about the PCV line? Could have a bad intake gasket as well. Check all under hood vacuum lines for splits and cracks. Get a helper to keep the engine running and listen under the hood.
~Michael

Not sure of the year, make model or engine but you obviously have a vacuum leak. It may or may not have anything to do with the booster. When you step on the brake pedal it pulls engine vacuum for assist. If you already have a vacuum leak this will kill the motor. It will run on its own while cold because the choke plate is closed increasing engine vacuum. Did you plug the brake vacuum line off at the intake? How about the PCV line? Could have a bad intake gasket as well. Check all under hood vacuum lines for splits and cracks. Get a helper to keep the engine running and listen under the hood.
~Michael

very good points

~Michael

All vacuum lines are brand new. The intake was installed less than 2,000 miles ago.

i wonder if there is junk in the metering block. can you externally adjust the floats ?

I have no clue. I am pretty sure you can.

I'm still leaning vac leak also. Just a reminder, in your search of a possible bad line/hose, don't forget to check your heat/ac controls/doors if they are vacuum operated.

I'm still leaning vac leak also. Just a reminder, in your search of a possible bad line/hose, don't forget to check your heat/ac controls/doors if they are vacuum operated.

yes i agree. this is a pickem up , so there is going to be quite a few vacuum line runnings around. i say get you a can of starting fluid and start squirting lines and around the carb with the air cleaner on

i wonder if the electric choke went wacky or the vacuum secondary pod developed a leak

All vacuum lines are brand new. The intake was installed less than 2,000 miles ago.

You need to make sure they are all still attached. I would also double check that intake. If the gasket slid out of position during installation it could have sucked through.
~Michael

Can you just crank in the idle speed screw to keep it running or do you have to keep working the throttle to keep it going?

yes i agree. this is a pickem up , so there is going to be quite a few vacuum line runnings around. i say get you a can of starting fluid and start squirting lines and around the carb with the air cleaner on

i wonder if the electric choke went wacky or the vacuum secondary pod developed a leak
My electric choke is junk but it didn't give me aproblem before and my vacuum advance is wacky, btu I eliminated it when I plugged it off

You need to make sure they are all still attached. I would also double check that intake. If the gasket slid out of position during installation it could have sucked through.
~Michael
Then it woulda been doing this for the past 2,000 miles, correct?

i would also try it with the vacuum advance port plugged off
I plugged every single port. It still dies

-
Back