Truck manifolds on Dart Sport?

-
A 1995 Ram 1500 with a 5.9 Magnum works too. I have one in my 75 Power Wagon 440.

View attachment 1716023705
I'm confused - do you mean the starter or whole engine? Because I have considered a 5.9 Magnum if I find any major issues with the LA360 I currently have.

I was responding to another post.....regarding the model of vehicle to use when buying a mini starter.
The 5.9 Magnum is a great engine to retrofit into the classics though. Roller cam, great heads, fewer leaks compared to the LA series engines.

Okay, which Dakota starter, specifically?
1995 Dakota with a 5.2
I have a 1995 5.9 from a Ram 1500 and the overdrive trans from the 95 Dakota 2wd.
Year doesn’t matter really, because all these parts fit all small block Dodge including the V6.

I think I understand now...I was thinking about the motor mount as in the round poly bushing that the center bolt runs through, but now I think you mean the actual metal mount bolted to the frame, right? Shimming underneath that part? That makes sense, I think. Would I have to smim both sides equally to avoid some other issues, or just the driver's side a bit?

This, of course, only applies if I get headers with fitment problems.
Yes, washers under the mount, up to 1972 original style mount, 73 up had the spool mount

lino was placed on the stud that goes into the k member. it had about 2 treads holding the nut on. only the drivers side was shimmed. same car had a msd 6al that was wired with marretts and duct tape. was sure a good parts car though

Ah, my car is a 75. I suppose that means I can't use this particular trick?
That is correct. The spool mounts can't be shimmed up without a lot of cobbling to make it happen. If you use Dougs D453's and a mini starter as @TrailBeast suggested, you won't have any problems. I have gone to Autozone and bought 4 or 5 mini starters for a 92 Dodge B200 van with a 5.2 engine. About the 3rd one, they counter guy asked me, "How many damn Dodge vans do you have?!?" LOL. I use them on everything. They spin fast and don't sound like a cat with its tail hung in a washing machine ringer!

To also answer your original question, forget the truck manifolds and find some 72 and up 340/360 A body exhaust manifolds. They have to be from an A body (at least the drivers side) or they won't fit. 68-70 340 HP manifolds work great but cost more than Dougs D453's nowadays.

That is correct. The spool mounts can't be shimmed up without a lot of cobbling to make it happen. If you use Dougs D453's and a mini starter as @TrailBeast suggested, you won't have any problems. I have gone to Autozone and bought 4 or 5 mini starters for a 92 Dodge B200 van with a 5.2 engine. About the 3rd one, they counter guy asked me, "How many damn Dodge vans do you have?!?" LOL. I use them on everything. They spin fast and don't sound like a cat with its tail hung in a washing machine ringer!

To also answer your original question, forget the truck manifolds and find some 72 and up 340/360 A body exhaust manifolds. They have to be from an A body (at least the drivers side) or they won't fit. 68-70 340 HP manifolds work great but cost more than Dougs D453's nowadays.

I appreciate that, especially all the extra details so I don't have to ask follow up questions and look even more "challenged". :D

I do like the sound and overall benefits of headers, but I was somewhat put off after reading about how much "massaging" some folks were having to do. If I remember correctly, the reason I didn't seem to have much trouble back in the 80s is that I had the engine and trans out already, and laid the headers in the engine bay and sort of slowly lowered the engine to a certain point, loosely attached the headers, lowered the engine more, etc. Then again, that was 39-40 years ago, and memory has a way of changing events. :)

... wish I could remember which brand I used on my '75 back in '85...they went on with relative ease and I used the stock starter. The odd thing I remember is that they were a chalky white color. Anyway....thanks for the input!
In the 80's Blackjack AK5000 headers were coated with some chalky white stuff that supposedly contained aluminum to resist corrosion. Maybe what youre thinking of.

Manifolds or headers either cost or frig factor or both, go for the extra 20 hp,which will grow more exponentially as you add pieces to your engine

-
Back