Truck tonneau covers, need opinions

-

breakstuff

Reaction score
Im wrapping up the paint job on my 03 dually and will need to add bed rail covers and a tonneau cover. Im curious what most people use and would like the pros and cons about what one you have, had, installed, or would have bought instead. My bed is usually useless to me except on race day when I load up a quad in it. Several times a year...... maybe picking up a couple hay bales once in a blue moon. Thanks

received_1772902829674734.jpeg

I've got a Tonnopro tri-fold soft cover on my '10 F 150 great cover had it now 5+ years..:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I have a trifold soft Mopar cover which I got with my 2011 Ram when new, it has help up well, I live on the " wet " west coast and it NEVER leaks, it comes off in seconds so in case you don't want it on but is locked with the tailgate up if I lock the gate, How ever my town and neighborhood is extremely safe, if I needed something more secure I would go with the hard shell version, do not get the one that rolls up, my friend had one he recently replaced as it takes up too much room.

We've got a hard shell cover on our 2010 short bed Ram. Bought and installed within days of buying the truck brand new. It has held up great!

I've got a TonnoPro loroll on my 2006 ram 1500. I've owned a TonnoPro loroll since 2011 and have been through 3 since then. It is a great soft cover and keeps most water out of the bed except around the tailgate. Although they send a seal with it to put around the tailgate I have not done it so that is probably why I get the little bit of water in the bed.

The pros:
Easy installation
Low profile (about 1/2" above bed rails)
Adjustable to keep cover tight
They sale replacement pieces for the small pieces like latches etc
10 year warranty on workmanship of the quality
Fast replacement using the warranty (I've used it twice. Each time was about a 2 year span)

The cons: (and this is the only issue I've had with it.)
The stitching on the 1st 2 I had started coming out and started coming apart where the Velcro was on the sides. They sent me new ones each time after submitting pictures and proof of purchase. The 1st one I had to go through the website I bought it from (autotrucktoys.com I think), but after that I've dealt with TonnoPro since they sent the second one. Both times they did not request the old ones back. (My father also bought the same one and had the same issue and they did request him to send his old ones back. So maybe it depends on who you get in the customer service dept.) I sold the 1st one and the second one I had an upholstery shop use marine grade thread to fix the stitching. That one is storage just in case.
But on a note about the stitching...TonnoPro did advise to me and my father that they have started using a better nylon based thread and making more stitches per inch to avoid the stitching from wearing so fast from uv damage.

My 3rd cover is the one I have now and it's been on my truck for a little over 3 years now. It has the new stitching TonnoPro has told me about and it is holding up great. So apparently they have got the stitching issue resolved. My father's is also holding up great too.

Also, the last time I had to deal with a warranty Lund customer service handled the issue. Lund bought out TonnoPro and only handles the customer service side of the company. TonnoPro still manufactures the covers and handles the shipping of them.

Truxedo LoPro roll up for me. I'm on my third one. Had to let the first two go when I traded trucks. I got a used pickup several years ago and it had hard tonneau on it. We went on a 350 mile trip and found some furniture we wanted. We had no way to bring it home as it would not fit under the cover. A friend was selling his pickup and gave me his tri-fold. We went on another trip and I came upon a deal for a bunch of Mopar body parts. The cover could not make te trip home with the bed that full of parts. Luckily the guy with the parts was interested in giving me credit for the tonneau. I got a roll up Truxedo for that truck and that is waht I have used since. Love the roll up style as they allow full use of the box.

I have a ReTrax hard cover on my truck. As said with the Roll-N-Lock, takes up a little bit of space. Not a problem on a 6.5 ft bed. Looks great. Keeps water out very well. Expensive as hell (company bought it, company truck) but I love it. Will make sure it swaps to my next truck..
20170731_095852.jpg

1504466631603775828705.jpg

extang trifecta trifold, easy removal and install. I bought new in 2002 for my truck and 15 new england season's it is still hanging tough. Just bought another for my 2005

Thanks everyone. Most people responded about the one I was eyeballing. The triple fold cover. I thought a out a camper shell but the truck is huge, and feels huge going down the road. Plus I dont think my Polaris will fit with a shell. Thanks again

Thanks everyone. Most people responded about the one I was eyeballing. The triple fold cover. I thought a out a camper shell but the truck is huge, and feels huge going down the road. Plus I dont think my Polaris will fit with a shell. Thanks again
4 wheeler wont fit the shell. I just bought and instaled a G 2 back flip on my new "to me" 2014 ram. Has about 3 fold up options for hauling, fits great, easy install , flush with bed -for box rails, and u can haul ur 4 wheeler w/o taking it off!

Truxedo roll up for my two trucks. Much more versatile than a hard cover.

I agree with the full shell, nothing against the covers but i like the extra room.

20170904_074906.jpg

I have two different styles on my trucks.

I have an extang roll up on my old truck, it is nice in the way that it rolls clear up by the cab and is out of the way. The downside is the cross bars that need removed and stored and it takes two people to roll it up.

My new truck has a factory mopar tri-fold, it is nice because it flips up out of the way, but he down side is the 2.5 ft or so that is left up by the cab.

You say the bed useless, so you aren't using the cover to secure stuff, so why use a cover?
All it would do is reduce your mileage, and be in the way in the event you need the bed.

I have a roll and lock on my 03 Ram that was good but did not last more than 2 years till it would no longer roll up as it should. After that you had to fight it closed by pushing 1 side then the other. I also have a back flip 4 section foldable hard cover on my 2010 Ram. I much prefer this one and it is what I will use next time I buy a truck.

Cley

I didn't like the crap hanging in the front of the bed, would be in my way for what I do.
??? The Truxedo rolls up to the back of the cab with a 5" or so roll. Nothing hangs in the front of the bed. I see yours blocks off the rear window when the whole bed is exposed. I wouldn't like that. Each to his own I guess.

-
Back