Trucker question ...tire related

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
as i go near the interstate every once in a while i cant help but notice something that is kinda strange to me.

Truckers can shed light on this:

why do some trucks have a double wide tire and not the dually setup like others?

i think its a new idea....and it seems to have advantages and disavantages.

these double wide tires seem to make more noise.

are there any real advantages to them over the classic dually set up and is this something that will be standard in the future?

Attachments

• P3220094.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 178
  • fd425_lg.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 208
  • 3335184_1.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 199
  • 3409738359_58e005d855.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 183
they are called super singles.They can haul just as much weight with less tires.Less tires = less maint. cost...................................Jeff

they are called super singles.They can haul just as much weight with less tires.Less tires = less maint. cost...................................Jeff

wouldnt it make a bigger problem when they age and if one has a blow out?

i would think if you lose one the truck comes to a stop ...where with the dually if you lose a tire you can keep going at a reduced speed .....thats just my logic ....im not a trucker so i dont know

My brother in law, who is a trucker, tells me that super singles tend to even out cost wise because they cost a little under the price of two normal tires.

He also said that he feels the dually setup gets better traction in snow and ice because there is less contact path compared to the super singles, more psi poundng the road is his logic.

It also saves weight and cost on the chassis. With the new emission laws it has added extra cost on the truck and extra weight due to more items added to the exhaust. The chassis manufactures needed to trim weight and cost and this was a way to do it. Also the truck will have less rolling resistance going down the road which will save on fuel.

Yes, weight, fuel mileage, and cost. also has to do with less tax paid per tire.

also its easier to check the air pressure everyday so you can help to avoid flats and blowouts

when i drive by a big rig i like to roll the window down to listen to it ....i notice the wide tire makes more noise (maybe my imagination)

also i notice that you dont hear the little whine from the engines anymore .....it used to sound like a turbo with a smooth whine and i notice i dont hear thats so much anymore.

also i used to see trailers that said M.S. Carrier

i notice i dont see those around anymore the trailers used to be orange.

Well the big trucks have fallen victim to the smog patrol with EGR, converter, and all that stuff. If you ever can catch a new one idling it will sound like a jet engine winding up. They finally took the fun out of trucking! You want turbo sound? drive an old Mack with the twin turbo's! one small turbo feeds the bigger one! Maybe called a tip turbine??? not sure! very cool sound when you put your foot in it. People will get out of your way!!!!

I don't like them. Every truck to come in to the store with them on that I have seen are all jacked up. They wear all kinds of funky.

Other thing I don't like is if you get a blow out you have no back up tire on that axle til you get it fixed.

Never would run them on my truck but I have a two axle and run doubles so if I were to get a blow out I would not have a tire at all on that side of that axle. That don't work very well.

If you had a three axle truck and a single trailer I think it would work better.

Attachments

• post-29981-1295904412_thumb.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 127
One draw back is alot of tire shops that do truck tires don't stock that size, so if you get a flat there might be more "down time" most shops have plenty of 11R22.5, LP24.5's etc....the common stuff.

There are many advantages and disadvantages to the bigger tire, but in the long run the "super single" tire has proven to be a little better.

i think i have seen trucks in:

MACK
Kenworth
FreightLiner
Volvo
Peterbilt

am i missing any that you see on highways now?

unique looking trucks ...where is Mr. Miller i would think he would into this topic :toothy9:

Attachments

• 4527571422_950abc923f_o.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 131
Another draw back is the tires are expensive, when I dealt with the they were close to $1000 each. Many truckers would run them longer to save money, then bring then into the shop to get them "recapped" Or "retreaded" only to find that they ran them too far down and they got rock drilled from stones, causing the steel belts to rust, meaning that tire casing is now junk.....seen many Michelin tires do this, they are junk IMO anyway, nice ride but poorly built.

our entire fleet eliminated using the super singles, when hauling doubles the sway was real bad and our drivers felt they were very unstable. we are running 11r24.5's and 295 low pros duals now.

My brother in law, who is a trucker, tells me that super singles tend to even out cost wise because they cost a little under the price of two normal tires.

He also said that he feels the dually setup gets better traction in snow and ice because there is less contact path compared to the super singles, more psi poundng the road is his logic.

Super singles are also super worthless in the oil field. As far as cross country (hwy) travel, they are just as good as duallys. Other than that, they aren't better than or equal to duallys. As stated above, they are about the same price as 2 skinnies.

I don't like them. Every truck to come in to the store with them on that I have seen are all jacked up. They wear all kinds of funky.

NFI uses them on the Budweiser trailers they pull. I also see them on front-discharge concrete mixers (all positions except bogey) and the front of dump trucks, rear-discharge concrete mixers, trash trucks, and fire engines.

-
Back