True Story From The Past

-
Any of "those" departments and you will be getting a knock at the door and not a phone call.

I wish I had a nickle for every time some scammer has called telling me my Amazon account had been charged for something that I didn't buy (I don't have an Amazon account) or my Visa has been charged for $1,231 dollars on an E-Bay purchase ( I also don't have a Visa card) I would be a very rich man.
And all of the callers have East Indian accents...
And then there's the calls over and over every week to offer energy efficient windows.
One time a guy called and said I won a million dollars and I said that I wasn't interested and he should call someone else that needed the money.
Then there was silence.
He said in a broken voice (of course East Indian) why don't you want the money?
I told him I just won the lottery last month and that I was so rich, that I didn't need the money.
He was speechless, then said uhhh, and then hung up...

I liked the ones where the caller would say that they were going to come and arrest me if I didn't pay them. My answer was always "ok, I will be here, waiting for you, with my loaded shotgun". That normally would be the end of the call.

Oh no not the look. I
There's a well-known phone scam based on this (fake HSA call), and I got it about two weeks ago when I happened to be home/took some PTO from work. I don't recall why I was in a bad mood, but I immediately told the guy to "f*** off" and hung-up on him.

(Edit: Then I blocked the number in my phone.)

My wife heard all of this, and asked who I was talking to.

Me: "Homeland Security."

She: "You told them to "f-off"?"

And then I got The Look....

Took me a few minutes to calm her down and explain what was going on.
oh no not the look. That scares the hell out of me, usually because at that point nothing you can say or do will prevent the small nuclear explosion that is about to happen.

No government agency, but I had a call wake me up claiming to be from my banks fraud unit asking for numbers off my card. They knew the last card numbers they stole and wanted the new ones. Hung up called my bank, and have another new card on the way. Third time so far, but my banks real fraud unit is solid.

I like to mess with them too.
Sometimes, when I see the call is probably a telemarketer, I'll answer the phone in Spanish and say in broken English, "Me no talk English" over and over. I have only had one come back in Spanish once.
Also, I do a pretty good Indian accent. If I get a scam caller with an Indian accent, I will come back with mine.

I was at a friends house, many years ago. His phone number was one digit different than the power company. He would get phone calls from people reporting their power was out. One time, he answered the phone and someone said their power was out. He said, "well, pay your damn bill"! and hung up.

Sometimes they might not even knock.
They probably won't here, because they all know me and sometimes some of them come and just sit in the driveway to take a break and or do paperwork. lol

Had a spoof call from Social Security a couple years back -the normal scam where you owe the money and are going to arrest you. Same Indian accent. In my best middle Eastern accent, I start asking the guy why he is harassing me and that I moved my family here to realize the American dream and that I just wanted to be left alone. Guy wasn’t taking it and very softly said “F*ck you!” In my normal voice, I said “What did you say?” He said it again louder. I started laughing and said “in your dreams, pal!” Then he got pissed and started yelling it over and over again! My wife was in the other side of the kitchen from me and she heard it plain as day.

Anytime I see what looks like a scam calling answer with a very weak voice . After I get what ever scam it is I just say ok. Give me a moment to get my credit cards.
Then I slowly read the numbers. Always have to go back and correct a few because being old I have poor eyesight.
Then when I get to the expiration date oh sorry let me find another card. I had the guy screaming at me on the last call after Round 20 minutes yelling I NEED THOSE NUMBERS NOW RIGHT NOW!!!

Uncle Walter had his dogs trained to respond to German words, not associated with aggressive actions.

Don’t remember the words that put the dogs on alert, or the words that called them off… but if he yelled “fressen” (eat), something or someone was on the menu.
Fressen is not a very proper way to say it either

It's closer to "chow down" them eat
Definitely has the feel of some teenage boys who don't care to use silverware

Fressen is not a very proper way to say it either

It's closer to "chow down" them eat
Definitely has the feel of some teenage boys who don't care to use silverware
The Texas Hill Country Germans used “Essen” to describe “polite” eating. “Fressen” was used to describe eating like a slob, or an animal. As a dog’s attack word, “fressen” was fitting.

-
Back