Trunk lid torsion rods

-

orion20001

Reaction score
I am having problems with my 67 Dart GT convertible trunk lid. It will not remain in the up position and I have been using a 1x4 cedar prop not the type of conversation piece I particularly like:confused:. I have adjusted the torsion bars to the last adjusting hole and the torsion rods will not support the lid weight. Do I need to replace the rods or can they be bent to increase the torsion or is there something else I can do?

I am having problems with my 67 Dart GT convertible trunk lid. It will not remain in the up position and I have been using a 1x4 cedar prop not the type of conversation piece I particularly like:confused:. I have adjusted the torsion bars to the last adjusting hole and the torsion rods will not support the lid weight. Do I need to replace the rods or can they be bent to increase the torsion or is there something else I can do?

Did you install a spoiler or something that would have added wieght to the trunk lid? I had this same issue because the weight of my spoiler and after ajusting the trunk torsion rods the trunk lid now stays up without a problem and I still have one ajustment hole I can move to yet. With all that said I would have to say if the trunk torsion rods have beed ajusted in the correct direction and are installed correctly they may need to be replaced. Bending them would most likely not be a good idea.
KP

Thanks for your reply. There has been no spoiler or anything that would add any additional weight to the trunk lid. I felt the torsion rods lost tension because when I adjusted them against the tension towards the last adjustment hole I would have expected more resistance. Do you know if they are available in aftermarket parts or only as used?

They are made of tempered steel so no you cant bend them. Ask for good used ones in the parts wanted section here.

Hi and thanks for your response. I am not sure if they are the same I could not see them in the pictures. I would think they would not have changed them much if any on the Darts. Send another photo if you have one.
Thanks
John

Maybe these pics will help.

74DusterBars032.jpg

74DusterBars033.jpg

74DusterBars034.jpg

I think they are the same I measured between trunk hinge arms on the inside edge and it was 40". Let me know what you want for them>

-
Back