Trunk paint

-

rmchrgr

Skate And Destroy
Reaction score
After a little search, I wasn't finding what I was looking for. Anyone done splatter paint in their trunk?

My Dart has some surface rust in the trunk I'd like to stop from advancing. My thought is to wire-wheel the rusty areas, clean and prep and put down some POR 15, then put some Zolatone-type splatter-paint down and forget it. I realize it's not 'factory correct' since Darts are body color in the trunk, but this is what I'm leaning towards.

Anyone done the same thing or similar? Any arguments to the contrary I should know about? Painting over Por 15 OK?
Thanks,

Greg

Go to a paint store and have some paint mixed in the color of your car then have it put in rattle cans, I got about 8 cans for $50.

I guess I'm lucky. My trunk needs the same thing but my car is black already. I plan to scuff it up real good, and then shoot it with some left over Zero Rust I have from the floor pans.

If you don't mind the spatter paint, I would say go for it!

Costs about $100. Primer and Zolatone.

70dart001.jpg

70dart008.jpg

Go to a paint store and have some paint mixed in the color of your car then have it put in rattle cans, I got about 8 cans for $50.

I like that idea. I did not realize that a paint shop would/could put paint into cans for you but it makes sense. Learn something new every day! I wonder if you could get Zolatone mixed in your body color.

Costs about $100. Primer and Zolatone.

That looks pretty good!

The splatter finish will look fine but is not correct. On the POR 15 i think you have to apply a top coat of your finish before the 15 cures totally. Read it on the can.

rmchrgr, Do you have a compressor ? Why not buy a quart of single stage and paint it body color your self. ? Or bring it down and I'll do it cheap.

rmchrgr, Do you have a compressor ? Why not buy a quart of single stage and paint it body color your self. ? Or bring it down and I'll do it cheap.

I agree. Its no harder using a single stage paint. I used glasurit 22 line urethane and I'm no painter. Its looks correct for a Mopar where as the splatter paint is a GM thing. If I can pull it off you can, it wasn't hard at all.

IMG_1362.jpg

Unfortunately my garage isn't set up yet, no compressor, no nothing. I might take you up on that offer Adam!

Why does it have to be correct? Does that add to the driveabilty? Just asking. Mike

I've tried painting over splatter paint on some GM products before and I haven't had a lot of luck. Takes a few coats and looks like ***. It doesn't cover very well. Have you done this before adamr? just wonderin'?

I've tried painting over splatter paint on some GM products before and I haven't had a lot of luck. Takes a few coats and looks like ***. It doesn't cover very well. Have you done this before adamr? just wonderin'?

Painted over spatter paint ? No, never tried it but I wouldnt think it would work well.

What's Splatter paint?
If that's whats in the pic of the trunk, then I'd like to do that to my trunk. Is it something you can get at a normal hardware store? Any special coating that needs to be done or anything like that?

I know Eastwood carries it. Might be able to find it or order it from one of the local chain auto parts stores.

-
Back