Trunk reconstruction?

-

Pascamp

Reaction score
Although I'm pretty well versed in metal fab, ect, I'm not well versed in unibody construction. I'm minitubbing my 71 dart. To me it makes no sense to expend this energy and not do things 100%. I don't see any point in extending the factory tubs. If I go with aftermarket, then the trunk extensions no longer make sense. They just become a place that's damn hard to prep and consider 100%. How have you guys completely reconstructed your trunk area to sleep well? I'm leaning towards removing the entire trunk pan and tubs. And then constructing a new trunk floor and seam sealing it to the quarters. Does this make sense?

I think you would need a brace like pickup trucks have or something so the quarter skins dont flap in the breeze.

I think you would need a brace like pickup trucks have or something so the quarter skins dont flap in the breeze.
Car has a 12pt cage in it now even though it's a "street car". I figure I can run support brackets off the rear rails to the lower quarters.

Although I'm pretty well versed in metal fab, ect, I'm not well versed in unibody construction. I'm minitubbing my 71 dart. To me it makes no sense to expend this energy and not do things 100%. I don't see any point in extending the factory tubs. If I go with aftermarket, then the trunk extensions no longer make sense. They just become a place that's damn hard to prep and consider 100%. How have you guys completely reconstructed your trunk area to sleep well? I'm leaning towards removing the entire trunk pan and tubs. And then constructing a new trunk floor and seam sealing it to the quarters. Does this make sense?
I would leave the entire piece from the lower edge up - then maybe an inch or so into the trunk area - so you have something to attach to.. where I put the black line..

414151-1000-0.jpg

I would leave the entire piece from the lower edge up - then maybe an inch or so into the trunk area - so you have something to attach to.. where I put the black line..
I just don't know how to confidently feel that that area is rust free. I'd hate to spend all this effort/money and then have an issue in 3yrs.
View attachment 1715023657

With stock frame rails you will gain nothing more over mini tub. I have 13.5" wide tires on my 67 dart with mini tub

With stock frame rails you will gain nothing more over mini tub. I have 13.5" wide tires on my 67 dart with mini tub
Not looking to gain clearance. Just even with the car on a rotisserie, I see no way to ensure the trunk extension area is rust free. I'd hate to be this far and have a problem in a few years. The car is really clean for a North East car, but I see no way to prep that area properly without removing perfectly good quarter panels.

Not looking to gain clearance. Just even with the car on a rotisserie, I see no way to ensure the trunk extension area is rust free. I'd hate to be this far and have a problem in a few years. The car is really clean for a North East car, but I see no way to prep that area properly without removing perfectly good quarter panels.

I just got air wands and vacuume way down inside to clear out then used long paint brush and por15 to coat everything. Was very liberal.

I have flooded some of these screwy cavities ( there are others ) with a water based rust reformer. The first I used was called NeutraRust. It might not be the best but was too easy and simple to apply and cleanup. Pump spray bottle, sponges, push it uphill w/compressed air etc... Anything we do will be 100% better than what the factory did ( absolutely nothing ).
Where is the daily driver sitting out in the weather, trunk seal gone to chit, today anyway?
Its how old now? 47? Kill the rust that's in there now, clear the drains, maintain seals and such, hope for at least half again of the 47.

I don't sleep well in my trunk , I'm not much help.
LOL.

It just seems like it would be easier and more thorough to replace the whole area. After altering tubs and ditching the spare well for a fuel cell there's not much left anyway. After looking at pics I've seen some guys recreate the trunk extensions, and some guys run straight out to the quarters.

LOL.

It just seems like it would be easier and more thorough to replace the whole area. After altering tubs and ditching the spare well for a fuel cell there's not much left anyway. After looking at pics I've seen some guys recreate the trunk extensions, and some guys run straight out to the quarters.
I have thought about going straight to the quarter skin but puzzled with how to attach it. A modern panel bond substance? If this is done or has been done, I'd love to see it. Good luck either way.

-
Back