Trunk Torsion adjustment fail and ruined underwear

-

gdizzle

Reaction score
Was hoping to firm up the trunk torsion. Trunk would not stay up. One side was in closest hole, other side was in far hole. So, I crawled in, closed the trunk started prying with huge screwdriver. I keep hearing loud clunks. So I get a piece of plywood and cover my face and arm with it, go for one last pry to get it out of the hole, and BAAAMMM. Broke right off. I saw sparks as it happened. So now I have a broken torsion bar. Also I have a ruined pair of boxers. And if my trunk wouldnt stay open before, now it is about 50lbs heavier.

I guess now onto the Gas strut mod I am seeing around here.
Can I get an AMEN.!

I had one of those torsion bars tear through two fingers, about 42 years ago. Still have the scars. Also still scared of those things.

Yup, my car didn't come with one, thank the boxer gods.

Glad your OK. Onto the strut rod mod.

I realize you already did this, but they are under far less pressure with trunk OPEN. Prop it up with a 'stick'

dog-stick-3-300x284.jpg

I realize you already did this, but they are under far less pressure with trunk OPEN. Prop it up with a 'stick'

dog-stick-3-300x284.jpg

Yup. Those trunk torsion rods are under full tension when the trunk is closed. When the trunk lid is completely open, they're as close to unloaded as you can make them.

Does anyone have specific tips on how to remove the torsion bars and move them to another adjustment slot safely?

Open the trunk lid fully and prop it open with something (broom handle, etc). At that point the torsion rods should be mostly tension free (not completely though). You should be able to pull the end of torsion rod straight back and just barely out of the slot and then twist it into another slot. Keep in mind that as soon as the end clears the slot there will be some torsion that you'll be holding. For added finger safety you can use a set of vice grips on the bent corner where the torsion rod changes direction to go into the slots. I usually just grab the torsion rod there, but that does put your fingers in a pinch area if something goes wrong. Try not to dislodge the torsion rod from the catch (above the slots) where it seats in after running the horizontal distance across the trunk, otherwise the end will move around in a way you won't like.

There's probably a better way, but that's how I've done it.

Wow thread back from the dead. Since I was the OP, some updates: After months of thinking I had broke the torsion rod, it turned out I hadn't, it had just fallen out. So I put it back in, still in the wrong hole. Tried a 2nd time to adjust and gave up, too scared. So I found this little torsion rod tool made for the Mercury Cougar, little black bar with cut out. THinking the torsion bars are the same, I ordered it. Finally got around to trying it out, and the tool would not fit, holes too small. So after that, and being completely fed up, I propped open the trunk, got in there with 1 medium screw driver, greased up the torsion end and bracket, wedged the screwdriver in and with brut force moved it to the 3rd hole on both sides. Work great now, stays up. In fact be careful, I also replace the rubber gasket on the trunk, now hard to close, and when it opens protect your chin.

Hah, and I want to provide another update. Since I had moved to the 3rd hole, though I liked that the lid would stay up, I didn't like how hard it was to close, and it was real squeaky. I also noted that the trunk was not straight and seemed to be pushed outward on one side by about 3/8 inch. I tried to align the trunk, but no difference. Then I felt up the torsion bracket on the left and for fecks sake the torsion bar was not in the little notch on the left side. So I emptied the trunk, (left it open no prop), and I went to work on the right side to pry the torsion bar out of the 3rd hole so I could fix the left side. So I pry it out and it moves and then down comes the trunk, kicked my foot up in time to stop it and then spent the rest of the time with my leg propping it all the way up while I got the bar into the notch, then pried it back into the 3rd hole. and boom, trunk close easily with not screeeech. And it is now straighter. Still not as far back as I would like, but I have pushed the trunk all the way on the bolts so I cant get it any closer to the back windshield. THanks guys.

Can someone point me in the direction of the gas strut mod and is there one for the engine hood as well ?? Thanks

-
Back