Trying to choose between these 2 cams

-

hemichuck

Reaction score
i have this 408 that I have been building out of junk I've been digging out of my garage, I've come down to choosing between this Comp cams Hydraulic, CRS 305H10 which is 525 lift 305 duration 110 centerline, duration @050 is 253. Or the Mopar Performance 557 lift solid cam which is 296 duration and 110 centerline. Here are the specs on the rest of the engine, 360 block .030 over with flat top Probe Pistons with valve notches, zero deck. 4 inch stroke, Edelbrock heads with 63cc chambers, roller rockers, Holley Strip Dominator intake with at least a 750 double pumper. The motor will be in a Valiant and I can run 4 speed or Automatic either one and will probably run a gear around 4.30.

IMG_1705.JPG
IMG_1706.JPG

I guess technically they are both about the same lift since when you subtract your lash which is 28/32 you end up with 529/525 out of the 557 mopar cam. I'm leaning towards using the solid cam in this motor and saving the Comp Hydraulic for another Magnum based stroker I have, with the 1.6 Magnum rockers you get about 560 lift

The 557 cam allows you to tighten the lash and see what happens. I have run a bigblock 590 cam as tight as .012 with good results in a big stroker (535) with poor heads. That would add some duration as well as increase net lift to a theoretical .545. A nice set of 1.6 rockers might help as well, and bee hive springs to keep it all stable.

IMG_1561.JPG
IMG_1572.JPG
IMG_1582.JPG
Yeah, it' amazing what I can dig up in this place. I'm determined to build 4 or 5 small blocks with everything that's laying here, I don't know what I'll do with them. I just bought an old 4 door 70 Valiant to use as a test mule. Just tired of having this stuff laying around. Incredible what piles up after 40 years of this stuff. I really have enough to build 3- 408's 2-340's and about 4-bad *** 360's and that's not even counting the big block and Hemi stuff.

Have a buddy that has a 71 cuda race car. Weighed about 3250 ish at the time he ran the combo below.
With a 12 to 1 stock stroke 360, stock, just checked over eddies, and that 525 hydralic cam, he used to run 10.90's all the time with a 727, 120-121mph
Weiand excellerator intake, 8 inch convertor.

View attachment 1715072916 View attachment 1715072915 View attachment 1715072914 Yeah, it' amazing what I can dig up in this place. I'm determined to build 4 or 5 small blocks with everything that's laying here, I don't know what I'll do with them. I just bought an old 4 door 70 Valiant to use as a test mule. Just tired of having this stuff laying around. Incredible what piles up after 40 years of this stuff. I really have enough to build 3- 408's 2-340's and about 4-bad *** 360's and that's not even counting the big block and Hemi stuff.
Build one with each cam!:thumbsup: Sometimes the simplest solution is right in front of us. LOL

Actually I will be building with each cam, just figuring out the immediate one that's on the stand now. I've pretty much decided the solid MP cam is the best one for this motor. The other one will end up in this Magnum based 408 stroker with EQ heads, I can run it with the Harland Sharp 1.6 Magnum rockers I have which will put lift up around 560. I have several other smaller cams around also. The motor I'm assembling now has about 11.8 compression with the Edelbrock heads, mostly gonna be a drag race motor since I'm already spending way too much on insurance for all the damn Vipers and trucks I own. I have enough stuff to put together a couple of other high compression Stock stroke 360 motors. Hopefully once here running I can sell them or find other old cars to put them in.

Mopar cam! Never a fan of comp. Too cookie cutter grind cams. Many put down mopar cams. But have had only good experience. Had a friend with a pontiac 400 engine used comp cams twice and twice wiped lobes! Went with a crane cam he never wiped another lobe!:D

I've been using Direct Connection/ Mopar Performance cams for at least 40 years, never had a complaint. I've got a couple of Crane Zip 518 solids I've had for 35 years, can't complain about those either

Yep mopar & crane are good cams. Howards cams also sound to be good. However, I have no experience with their cams, but have only heard good things about them. Racer brown is another mopar favorite. Again have not used this brand but has been associated with mopars for a long while now.

Comp, Crane, MP, Wolverine, Lunati, Engle... I've used all of these and never lost a lobe. Only two brands disappointed: Wolverine and MP. Wolverine made no power. MP had great designs and when I started I used a lot of them, but over time the product evolved to be made like absolute garbage. I stopped using them around '00 because of manufacturing issues when I found lobe placement issues and had to move the ICL 8* just to reach the cam cars spec. I won't use them now. Plus modern cam theory and design has surpassed their performance in most cases.

I'm sure there are better cams made today which could be the topic of a really long discussion. What I'm trying to do is use up all this stuff around my garage. I'm sure if I spent a couple of thousand dollars on different parts it might make more HP or go a little faster but at the end of the day all of these parts would still be stacked around the garage. On top of this motor I have a couple of other4 inch strokers, 2 sets of W2 heads, a set of EQ heads, a couple of sets of W2 headers, a couple of Tunnel rams and a hand full of other intakes, Performer Rpm's, Victors, Port-O-Sonics etc,etc.

I'm sure there are better cams made today which could be the topic of a really long discussion. What I'm trying to do is use up all this stuff around my garage. I'm sure if I spent a couple of thousand dollars on different parts it might make more HP or go a little faster but at the end of the day all of these parts would still be stacked around the garage. On top of this motor I have a couple of other4 inch strokers, 2 sets of W2 heads, a set of EQ heads, a couple of sets of W2 headers, a couple of Tunnel rams and a hand full of other intakes, Performer Rpm's, Victors, Port-O-Sonics etc,etc.

Time to start building. You have some cool parts. Nothing wrong with the MP cam. It isn't outdated. Want to know how I know? Because most comp lobes aren't that new, and many leg bump them like they are.

If you wanted to call someone and find a lobe that's faster than the MP lobe, you could. Would it make more power? It depends.

Have seen many engine builds in previous mopar mags and in forums where the mopar grind made more power than comps so called modern grind. So I tend to lean to mopar grinds. Sure i have heard quality issues of mopar cams. But so do comp & others.

Yes and no in terms of quality control. I can verify everything associated with properly assembling and starting an engine. Because that's where the lifespan of a cam is solidified. But I don't plot every lobe and there's no way to correct a lobe ground poorly. That's why I stopped with MP.

-
Back