Trying to decide

-

hemitheus

19? Plymouth Scampenstein
Reaction score
I am trying to decide what to put into my 318. I am not looking for a 1/4 mile car. Just pepping it up to make it a little more fun.

Currently its a 2bbl.

Looking to go 4bbl
add a cam
headers

Options are overabundant. single plane or dual on the intake (and I have EGR) carb choices are nearly limitless. Then, the cam. there is only so much you can put into a stock 318 and so many combinations of cam intake and carb.

What combination, in your opinion, would give the best results for a streetable car?

An edelbrock performer intake, 600 cfm carb, hedders, and a 268 advertised cam or smaller will wake up your 318 pretty well.

I am in the process of getting ready to build a 318 too, I'm with you man, there are so many choices, everyone recommends something completely different. Good luck on the build, from everything I have read, they come alive fairly easy!

Rockerdude went right where i was goin'...spot on. Without raising compression or head work that about as good as it gets. Will add that you'll be able to crank a ton of advance in it so that will "pep it up" also. Good luck.....i'm gonna do one this winter myself.

P.S. I haven't used them, but Hughes make a line of cams that are supposed to work with the low compression?

Yes, the whiplash cam series. Kinda costly though.

With such a setup, what would be a safe yet agressive timing setting?

Also doing the HEI upgrade. More spark = good spark

With such a setup, what would be a safe yet agressive timing setting?

Also doing the HEI upgrade. More spark = good spark

Hot spark and a effective compression ratio around 8to1 along with a upgraded cam you should probably be able to run 16-18 initial and close to 40 total all in around 3000rpm and have really good throttle response with pump gas.

If you have to keep the EGR find a 3776 performer intake. It has the EGR provisions.

Decent 600ish cfm carb and buy headers that fit, dougs or tti, so you aren't cussing up a storm!

The small voodoo 401-402 or a xe256-262 would be ok. Springs may be an issue with the higher lift. The 401 and 262H are real similar to the 340 cam in duration with a bit more lift.

Timing it right will make a big difference in how it runs. :cheers:

Thanks to you both.

Rob,
I need to research the AZ laws on EGR. Id prefer not to keep the EGR because of the parts limitations. but if I can find a 3776 on the cheap I may just go that route. powerband is idle to 5500 which is fine for me. revs can = boom.

so you know I will be consulting you on dialing this pig in.

I have the exact same thing rockerdude recommended with Comp Extreme 268, Dougs headers (that I am having trouble getting to seal even with Percy gaskets). I have Summit 2 1/2" mandrel bent exhaust. Sounds awesome to me with just the right amount of thump. I am went with 302 heads. Not broke in yet but so far so good,Joe

I used the P4452761. With a 318 I think gears will pay off better than compression.

Depends on how far you are willing to go.Myself, follow Crackedbacks choices.I would do valvesprings,anyways.

Yes, new valve springs are a must on just about any cam change!

Good news. If the car passes the sniffer test the EGR isnt required. More options on the manifold

I would get crap mileage. My van is a dual fuel. Ran e85 once. It SUCKS, got 70% the MPGs on it.

oh... yeah. and there is still th good old 98% rubbing alcohol trick

-
Back