Trying to Eliminate Drone. Need Another Opinion.

-
I'm fighting a nasty drone from my 340 (1500 to 1900 rpm)with Dougs long tubes, 2 1/2 X pipes, Pipes straight thru packed mufflers, 2 1/2 tailpipes out the back. Switched the mufflers to DynoMax chambered, still droned (but sounds sweet). Added Vibrant 14" bottle resonators in front of the mufflers, 10% less drone (maybe). I'm wondering about a branch resonator off the muffler or off the tail pipes. My point is the resonator in front of the muffler didn't work. Pic is before the resonators were installed just ahead of the mufflers.

P8110041.JPG

Yeah, I'm still iffy on pulling the trigger on resonators in the rear. It's cheap, but I just hate the idea of cutting my exhaust and it possibly not helping.

Can you just slip fit them into the end of the pipe? Just for a sound test? I think you’ll have enough room to just stuff it on for a sound test. Maybe not so much driving with them in though... LOL!

Can you just slip fit them into the end of the pipe? Just for a sound test? I think you’ll have enough room to just stuff it on for a sound test. Maybe not so much driving with them in though... LOL!

Well, I have turndowns. So, I'd have to cut off the turndowns and slip them on, trying to bend the exhaust below the bumper. So, I'd need new exhaust tips if the resonators don't work.

I have the same exhaust kit from tti. Just shove them on for a sound test before you cut anything.

Packed mufflers ,"Magnaflow ,Borla " ,are O.K. ,they don't really last . Stay away ,from anything "chambered " . The one muffler I trust here ,would be a Ultra Flow , extra long case. Fitting a good 2.5 " system under a A body Mopar ,is a learning experience, Mu...

Those are all way too long. I don't have a straight piece of exhaust tubing underneath the car that is long enough for even the shortest Powerstick. I think my longest straight before the muffler is 18". Anything before and after that is bendy. Although, they said you can add resonators in the back to help with drone (See attachment - last 3 words of big paragraph).

Again, what you need is a helmholtz. The only straight section needed is for an easy attachment pipe. They can be perpendicular, you can bend them to run parallel to whatever wackiness you have under there, it can even be a non-tubular chamber (although the math may change a bit).

img_20170711_131222753_hdr-jpg.jpg

No more drone!

The above link addresses specifically the issue you describe.

That's my car above in #33. Resonators went behind gas tank and tucked up, you can't even see them from behind. If you do see them it looks like back of gas tank. I went from Flowmasters to Magnaflow, better sound but still had drone at different rpm. Local shop dealt with it and did great job! Great sound, no drone, love it :)

Google "1/4 wave exhaust resonator" plenty of BS and ballyhoo along with some useful theory. Added a 26" x2" to my truck a few years back, worked great to take the drone out of the generic turbo 3" single muffler. Eventually I ditched the turbo and resonator tube and switched to a Walker 22636 heavy-duty muffler and a simple turn down under the bed, even better. I don't think the HD Walker will fit under an A-body though.

This might sound simple, but what about the hangers. Take some pics of your hangers too

I still think you need to lop off the turndowns and stick the exhaust about 1/2" past the bumper first.

I have the same system (but with long tubes), and it droned/drummed under the car like crazy with the turndowns. I went with some stainless tips that stick out past the bumper and it helped a lot. The car is actually pretty quiet inside with the ultra-flos

IMG_20170902_115929.jpg

Again, what you need is a helmholtz. The only straight section needed is for an easy attachment pipe. They can be perpendicular, you can bend them to run parallel to whatever wackiness you have under there, it can even be a non-tubular chamber (although the math may change a bit).

View attachment 1715124783
No more drone!

The above link addresses specifically the issue you describe.

That's my car above in #33. Resonators went behind gas tank and tucked up, you can't even see them from behind. If you do see them it looks like back of gas tank. I went from Flowmasters to Magnaflow, better sound but still had drone at different rpm. Local shop dealt with it and did great job! Great sound, no drone, love it :)

I still think you need to lop off the turndowns and stick the exhaust about 1/2" past the bumper first.

I have the same system (but with long tubes), and it droned/drummed under the car like crazy with the turndowns. I went with some stainless tips that stick out past the bumper and it helped a lot. The car is actually pretty quiet inside with the ultra-flos

View attachment 1715125038

My exhaust is going to have to be addressed another time as I'm booked for the end of my vacation. But I think the plan is doing a mix between these two methods. I kind of like how the Helmoltz system is set up in this picture. Super easy and straightforward.

-
Back