TTI Exhaust Sound Clip

-

FASTBACK340

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Thank you to fellow FABO'er Mikel Beck for providing a cool video hosting site: WWW.DRAGMOTION.COM

It's rare that I go anywhere without my video camera in my pocket. I had recorded my car a few days ago when some friends stopped by to see & hear it run. Thanks to Mikels site here's a clip with the new TTI system.

http://www.dragmotion.com/play.php?vid=125

Comp .488/.491 hydraulic- 10:1 - Edelbrock heads - MSD ignition - 6 Bbl.

TTI023-vi.jpg

Nope.... Flowmaster 40 Series 2 chamber noise-makers. Now they sound good!

Nope.... Flowmaster 40 Series 2 chamber noise-makers. Now they sound good!

That's what I thought. I thought you had gotten the entire TTI headers back system and got their muffler as well, so that is why I questioned it.

I have the same setup and the same cam. I have had the same setup for years so I am gonna try out magnaflow to see if I like them as well.

I've been doing some muffler research and have only found 2 straight through mufflers in an 18" case (original size for our a bodies). Magnaflow and Goerlich. Has anybody used any of these case lengths in 2.5?

Yes, they have great numbers. The 3" ones are even more amazing. Check this out on an ~ 550 HP 474 Pontiac.
Goerlich's Xlerator + X, (3.0"), X123, 4.25" x 9.25" x 18", 97% (air flow compared to 3" pipe), sound level at 10 feet in dBA; idle, 2200, 3500 rpm, no load: 71, 82, 92

FYI,Comparing flow @ 28in/hg, the magnaflows (#11256) flow 485, and the goerlich X118 flow 440.

Magnaflows are stainless case, stainless wool wrap inside, goerlichs are aluminized with fiberglass inside, and are more expensive...go figure.

We did lots of tests and when you compare the mufflers directly, and I mean exact versions that have the same configuration, the Goerlichs outflow the others. It has to do with perforation in the turns. The cheaper cost comes from Korean steel in the Magnaflows, the Goerlichs use materials made here (previous info, of course, things may have changed).
Tom

For example from early 2000s:

Magnaflow, 4" x 9" x 14", air flow compared to straight pipe, 83%, (offset -offset)
Goerlich's Xlerator, 4.25" x 9.25" x 14", air flow compared to straight pipe: 99% (offset-offset)

Others between the two companies will likely react the same other than straight through ones and in that case, I bet there is no difference.

Please understand we only tested typical sizes and shapes, I am sure there are some out there that will not come out quite the same.

Tom

Tom thats great info, as it seems there is some secret to giving out accurate data concerning flow numbers. It doesn't surprise me that the Magnaflows aren't made here or made with cheaper overseas products. I am aware that Goerlichs are made in North Carolina, which I like. I would be using an offset/center case.

-
Back