TTI Headers before Trans or after ???

-

MR.7DUSTER3

His money, My time
Reaction score
O.K. Guys here goes,360 engine is finally in engine compartment and bolted down now do we install the headers with the trans out or go ahead and install trans and fight with the headers later. We have heard so many horror stories about installing the headers we thought it might be easier to put them in first. What do you think ???

Bob/Bryce

putting the tti headders in my 360 dart was no problem with the trans on the motor.. its tight on the proportioning valve though and you'll have to lift the motor quite a bit.. read the directions they tell you step by step.

They should go right in,no problem with or without the trans. installed just get the engine up high enough,i put mine on when i first put the engine in and since have had the trans. out a couple of times for repairs,with the trans. in place you'll need to just give it a little twist to clear the collectors...

On an early a body 64 Dart with a 727 I had to turn the trans sideways to get it in past the headers. I went ahead and put the headers on while I was lowering the engine in and left the trans off.

I mocked up an empty case to support the engine while I buld the trans and I had to turn it about 30 degrees to clear the headers. ouch.. this is gonna suck when it is complete with the convertor. I have to put it in on my back on the floor so I know it is gonna be a bear! :p

I would puth the headers in place & leave them loose as it will give you a little more leway putting the transmission in

Put a set of TTi's in my 74 dart , Was a six banger but used the shumacher mounts, ( they work great) put 360/727 in it . Put headers in after motor and tranny. Passenger side is a cake walk. Drivers side had to lift the engine a couple inches. However, I did it by myslelf, on a set of jack stands on garage floor and only took about 2 to 3 hours and was done.
Was kind of leary of them at first due to price, But have become an absolute believer. Would never even consider any other headers for a mopar A body. I love them as much my Dart does. One thing to make sure of. Use a mini starter, you can put it on after headers and if you ever need to change it, Headers can stay in place.

i did mine with the engine in and out (had the engine in and out a few times now) i found it the easiest when they were in place and i dropped the engine in after, the tranny was in then. if the engine is just in at the motor mounts maybe lift it back out and get the headers in first. ALSO protect them with thick clean rags or something around mounted components or you may risk damaging the finish around the steering box and t bars and such. i scratched mine up and it sucks.

ALSO protect them with thick clean rags or something around mounted components or you may risk damaging the finish around the steering box and t bars and such. i scratched mine up and it sucks.

i used the thick plasticbags they came in to protect them while puting the headers on

-
Back