TTI Tease

-

FASTBACK340

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Today I spent over 9 hours installing a set of TTI's on my small block 4 spd. A body w/ a Lakewood scattershield, THE worst possible combination. I promise a full story w/ pictures in the near future as I photographed all the gory details. And believe me, there are a few....... :-k

But for now, here's a few teaser shots.
SANY0024-vi.jpg

SANY0037-vi.jpg

They look & fit BEAUTIFUL...... once you get `em in. :angry4:

Yea, they don`t quite go in without modification, now do they! Well at least you don`t have to hammer any tubes, like we would hammer nice ceramic coated headers anyway!! And you better have new and proper motor mounts. Still a sweet system. IMO8) 2 mods to make mine work. 3 with mounts.

My mounts and pretty much everything else is new. But there are 2 problems that must be dealt with. One I resolved this afternoon. The other one I'm still wrestling with. If I can get into my buddy's shop tomorrow I might have the install story up tomorrow/ Monday. If not, it might not be until next weekend, or later. As of now, my car is not driveable and I'm a wee-bit PISSED.

But I just had a hot shower and a back rub ( my Wife is the best...) and I'm going to go pass out. My band played out last night and I didn't get home until 2:00 this morning, so I'm C-O-O-K-E-D.

Nighty-Nite....

Let me guess, a Z-bar issue....

But tti's are a perfect fit! ROTFLMAO

They are nice headers after you make the work-a-rounds. The fun you might have is the bar lower arm swings in a decreasing pie shaped area. It's fun getting that just right.

Looks good John. Mine fit perfect on the Scamp, Column shift 904, A bit close to the tranny lines though.

I had fun with mine aswell, no back rub though. I like the valve covers on your motor, what make are they? Andrew

I had fun with mine aswell, no back rub though. I like the valve covers on your motor, what make are they? Andrew

I've heard that the automatics drop right in. But the scattershield requires a sawzall on the passenger side, and the Z bar needs to be tweaked with a torch and a vise, aided by a BFH. Fun indeed....

As for the valve covers, I found them on e-Bay and had Leanne (Phoenix Power Coating )powder coat them. I happen to have an extra set in the garage that a friend never used. PM me if your interested in buying them. 8)

SANY0007-vi.jpg

Try a 383 + lakewood + 4 speed + TTI's.I never did get the Z bar to fit.I had to use a Hydralic clutch.And forget removing the mini starter what a joke... I feel your pain.... Jim

68383GTS, did you consider Schumacher headers at all?
They defer you to another company who will modify their big block headers for 4 speeds.
I want to attempt them when I raise a few more dollars.

Can you post pics of your headers?

Hang in there John. I feel your pain too. All to well unfortunately because I have early a-bodies. Just finished my Doug's fiasco with z-bar and all.

Z-bars are a *****.

I have a scatter shield and didn't have any problems exception of thicker motor mount isolators. The driver side was touching the gear box.

I picked the entire car up with a heavy duty engine puller. The front bumper was at least 4 feet in the air... but the headers slid right in.

I have a scatter shield and didn't have any problems exception of thicker motor mount isolators. The driver side was touching the gear box.

I picked the entire car up with a heavy duty engine puller. The front bumper was at least 4 feet in the air... but the headers slid right in.

You DIDN'T have clearance issues on the passenger side header!?!?!? Wow... I had to cut out a 1/4" slice to make `em fit.
SANY0032-vi.jpg

The pipes were hitting right here. NO WAY could I have tightened the flanges without pulling the threads out of my heads, bending or cracking the flange to pipe welds.

SANY0035-vi.jpg

As much as it killed me to "hack" on my car, there was no pretty way around it at the moment. I'll try and clean up the cut once she's together and I throw her up on a lift.

SANY0034-vi.jpg

See how far that pipe goes into the shield?

I cut that area out before installing the motor. I noticed that it was tight quarters going through there so I decided to open it up some. So I guess I did make a modification.... I had forgot about doing that.

Thanks for the reply, do you happen to know who they are made by? I need a set for a Big Block. I will pass along the information to a friend of mine who has a 340. Andrew

Sorry I don't have any pics.Yes I considered Schumacher but they are short tubes and I didn't want the HP loss.But I was really unhappy with the way the TTI's fit.The starter will not come out without taking the header off.And you can forget the Z bar with the 383.
Last year at the Mopar Nats I saw a 68 383 4 speed GTS there.It had big tube step heads that cleared the starter and the Z bar.These headers fit so well.I taked to the Guy that owned the car and he bought the car that away.So he had no idea where the headers came from.I sure wish I could have found out they made my TTI's look like garbage.
Jim

-
Back