Tube headers

-

OleNatesOlds

Reaction score
Looking to get a set of headers for my \6 225 in '69 Dart. I already have a Clifford 6=8 intake that I plan to put a Holley 2bbl on. I'm just going to do a few mods because it will be a daily driver. Maybe a cam change and some port work. Which headers do you guys like that will stand up to repeated daily use and even some longer trips (like maybe to the beach or throughout the southeast)? I'm guessing it needs to be good material and somewhat thick guage tubing...

I will have headers available about the first of April. These will be Great NON China headers.
Dont have a fixed price yet but around $400 shipped.
You will need to mill to get your compression up before you switch cams etc.
Frank

well i bought mine, hooker super comp tuned long tube headers painted for 470 at my door. the clifford headers are worthless... as far as mods my sl6 is built to launch my dart to mid 12's and i drive it everyday and get almost 20mpg! as all slant guys know, head porting, camshaft, and compression bring a slant to life! if i were u i would buy a int/exh gasket from mike jefferies 1-308-320-0143. he sells a portable gasket for like 30 bucks. im using it and love it! on ur build i would go no less than 9.2:1 and a .470-.510 lift/210-235 dur @ .050 and a 104-108 LSA. im running a .510 246dur @.050 and a 108LSA right now and with a stock converter it will almost idle in gear with no fuss! with my new tranny/converter build it will have no problems! oh and they like gear to! im gonna run 3.91's with a tall tire.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pviXVh2Uaq0

Really? Hooker Super Comps on a daily driver? Everything I have heard about HSCs goes against using them that way... until now I guess. The 18 guage tubing doesn't sound like it would hold up, but I suppose that depends on how hard you run it daily. How long have you been using them on this car, 805moparkid? And why the heck don't they make regular Hooker Comps for the slants?

And I'm wondering why Clifford headers are worthless ?
I do NOT have any personal experience so take this with a grain of salt. I have seen and talked to a couple of people who have gotten them with in the last year. The headers were warped across the mounting face. Now whether it was a fluke or damaged or ??? I dont know.
The bad thing is Clifford was notified and did nothing.
Frank

And I'm wondering why Clifford headers are worthless ?
i did a 225 a couple years back and went with the clifford intake and header. After firing the engine the first time, The header welds around the flange leaked so bad, i had to pull it and return for another set. I was not impressed with clifford due to this issue and also some other issues with valve train components.

I like my Clifford headers for my race car,I also like welding.I have had to re-weld and surface them twice in the past year and a half.My daily driver has Dutra duels for the past 5 years and not any problems.Guzzi Mark

Headers are overkill on the street for a mild motor. Go Dutra duals.

Overkill, huh? If you call more power/mileage/and torque overkill.

I run old clifford long tubes,with a big valve head...and 1 bbl. carb. True, this combo is pulling the GUTS out of that 1 bbl but it works great.Burning rubber with 2.93's and 26" tires I wouldnt call that overkill...

It always interesting hearing the negative responses about Clifford.
In my opinion there is no /6 header anywhere close to a Clifford header.
I have never had a single problem with my set in 4 years. The flange is thick and the fit is perfect. The ceramic coating looks as good as the day I got them. On top of that they were on my doorstep exactly when they said they would be.

Picture 263.jpg

There's also an interesting pattern here. Most of those down on Clifford headers are referring to recently (within the last 2-3 years) made ones. Would this poor quality have to do with what I've also heard regarding other equipment by them and the main guy passing away awhile back? Have they gone downhill since then? I like the looks of my Clifford intake, but it may be a few years old itself...

I got my Cliffords about 13 years ago. No problems and still going strong.
It it my understanding that they have had some outsourcing problems and it has been rumored that they have a very reputable manufacturer making them now. I have no confirmation on this. All companies have problems now and again. On the intake side,compairing Clifford to Offy, I have had porosity problems with a Offy. Minor complaint that powder coating took care of.
The old Mopar Performance 6 into 0ne headers took alot of reworking to get to seal but now work fine. I guess that our fondness for that six on the lean makes our hobby a little harder. But it won't make me go to a belly button small block chevy none too soon.

-
Back