Tubing question

-

mr.stix

Reaction score
I'm re-doing the brake line between my master cylinder and line lock. Problem is I can only find a 1/4" line for that spot but on the other side of the line lock the rest of the tubing is 3/16. Will this be a problem? Is it going to cause too much volume on the other end?

1/4 should not really cause any problem, but what do you mean "you can only find 1/4?"

I have to step down the fittings to the line lock. And to reduce the amounts of fittings I would have to use I'm using a prefab piece of tubing withe the flairs and fittings on it. I haven't been able to find a prefab piece of tubing with 12-20 fitting on one end and a 7/16-24 fitting on the other side in 3/16". Hope that makes sense.

Hmmmmm, I'm curious as to why it's 1/4", mine was 3/16" from the MC to the line lock. Did you happen to get the kit when you bought the line lock? It was an extra 20 bucks I think, that would have had what you needed I believe.

Hmmmmm, I'm curious as to why it's 1/4", mine was 3/16" from the MC to the line lock. Did you happen to get the kit when you bought the line lock? It was an extra 20 bucks I think, that would have had what you needed I believe.

No the line locks where in there before I got the car. But whoever installed it used a bunch of compression fittings to put it all together. I'm trying to get it done with the least amount of fittings I can. I'll look up the kit and see if Incan get the extra stuff.

I have to step down the fittings to the line lock. And to reduce the amounts of fittings I would have to use I'm using a prefab piece of tubing withe the flairs and fittings on it. I haven't been able to find a prefab piece of tubing with 12-20 fitting on one end and a 7/16-24 fitting on the other side in 3/16". Hope that makes sense.

NOW I gotcha. Lines with those special sized nuts are factory only. You have several choices

1--Use step up/ down adaptors

2--Use different sized line(s) to get the nut size you need

3--Cut old nuts off old tube and reflair

4--Obtain new nuts from different sources, IE where you can find 'em. NAPA has some, and cut and reflair the new line.

5--EDIT turns out I don't know how to spell "flare"

NOW I gotcha. Lines with those special sized nuts are factory only. You have several choices

1--Use step up/ down adaptors

2--Use different sized line(s) to get the nut size you need

3--Cut old nuts off old tube and reflair

4--Obtain new nuts from different sources, IE where you can find 'em. NAPA has some, and cut and reflair the new line.

Well looks like I'm going with idea 4 and going to learn how to bend and flair my own tubing to make my new lines. Thanks for all the good advice guys its much appreciated.

-
Back