Tuff Kote removal

-

mopar_mudder

Reaction score
I have a 1974 dart that I am going to get media blasted. Question is will the blasting remove the Tuff Kote Dinol undercoating that is on the car? Or do I have to try and scrape it off first.

I would try to get it off first, if they have to blast it off they might spend extra time in one spot making a lot more heat than you want. but maybe call them first. Is it soft or rock hard ?

Spray with simple green and let it sit overnight. scrape or power wash off next day or however long you can wait. Id keep it moist if your letting it sit for longer than a day. Give it a 'shot' and let us know. My friend bought a 66 Comet and the idiot PO newly sprayed the under body (prpbably to cover a bunch of rust) and half his driveshaft with the stuff! Totally unbalanced the driveshaft. He finally drove it to a driveline shop, removed the driveshaft in the parking lot and watched the guy run it on his lathe and use a chisel on it like he was shaping a wooden table leg on a lathe. Took all the undercoat off the shaft, 2 new U-joints and a balance weight and he was back on the road. It got alot worse when the U-joints started to go, said it was barely noticeable when he bought it.

I scraped off the real heavy stuff, mainly the wheel wells and inner fenders. The rest of it is pretty hard so I hope it comes off. An oscillating tool with a scraper on it works pretty good too.

-
Back