Tuff Wheel Question

-

Jay Anderson

Reaction score
I changed my '68 Valiant column shift column to a floor shift type, and would like to install a tuff wheel. All the adapters show '70 and up. I've searched the site and can't find anything on this. Is it not doable? I really don't like the other aftermarket options. Thanks!

Yes. I did the same on my 67. I took an A body adapter and drilled out the spot welds and only used the half that I needed. Here's a pic of a stock A body adapter on the left. The smaller part at the top is the offending piece that we want to remove.
9368806861_3501473e25.jpg

Here's a shot of the adapter with the spot welds drilled.

upload_2017-12-18_6-18-49.png

And here's one with it assembled.

upload_2017-12-18_6-19-50.png

And here's a shot of the final assembly. There's a gap between the adapter and original column but it's barely noticable once the column is installed because of the angle you will be viewing it from.
upload_2017-12-18_6-32-21.png

That looks great! So all I need is the wheel itself, and a A Body 70 & up adapter to do this? Is the horn still functional? Thanks!

Yes and yes. This was all done with basic hand tools and a drill and bits.

Yes and yes. This was all done with basic hand tools and a drill and bits.
Thanks a million Brian! I was about to give up on this. I put in hours looking for info on this, and the vendors of the wheel and adapters were telling me it couldn't be done! WooHoo!

I hear ya and you're certainly welcome. I had a column, an adapter and a Tuff wheel. I tried to make it all fit together the best I could. This is what I came up with. Glad I could help.

-
Back