Tuff Wheel Questions

-

DartGTDan

'71 Dart GT Fan
Reaction score
Did the Tuff Wheel ever come factory in the '70-'71 Dart (Swinger, GTs, 340) cars? What were the factory sizes (diameter and dish depth)?
I've got a RimBlo (that needs restoration), and have just seen Grant's Tuff Wheel reproduction and started thinking. Since a restoration for my RimBlo will probably be in the neighborhood of $500-$700 maybe a repro Grant Tuff Wheel may be the wiser choice.
Opinions welcomed and encouraged (I can't afford, nor do I care about, a #s matching restoration).

Dan

don't think ttuff wheels ever came in a 70-71 dart. but they do look good in them. i have the grant in mine and really like the feel of it.

In 1971, the Tuff wheel was available on the Demon, but I have never found literature that indicated it came on the Swinger, at least not in 1971. You say you're not interested in a "numbers matching" restoration, so a Tuff Wheel would be a great choice, or just about anything that trips your trigger. The Tuff Wheel is nice because it is a smaller diameter wheel which makes entry/exit easier, and gives the feeling of a closer steering ratio. The factory did not recommend the Tuff Wheel on cars without manual steering, at least not in 1971. For the Tuff Wheel, or the Grant wheels, you will need the adapter that goes between the steering column and the steering wheel.

The steering wheels with the three buttons for the horn are a PIA as the switches behind them are touchy.

Grant makes a 13.75 and a 15 inch version of the Tuff wheel. The Grant horn button will interchange with the Mopar Tuff wheel. My Mopar Tuff wheel is a three spoke unit, center horn button, and is 14½" in diameter outer edge to outer edge.

The Tuff wheel is smaller in diameter than the other wheels offered by Mopar at the time. As a result, some of leverage is sacrificed raising steering effort. There was a good reason why power steering was required with the Tuff wheel. It increased steering effort, and add in the wider tires that were usually fitted to cars with Tuff wheels, you have the receipe for a harder to control vehicle in emergency situations.
8)

-
Back