Tuff Wheel Repair

-

motorpirate

serial mopar owner
Reaction score
I just bought a Tuff Wheel for my wifes '73 Duster.
It has the usual ratty rotten picked at foam.
I have seen some places on the Net that rebuild them(for hundreds!!!)
Anyone here ever try to repair on at home?
I think I can handle covering it in leather,but the foam is loose on the metal rim in several places and has some gouges out of it.
I'm wondering if there is some way to re attach or "firm " it up before covering,or should I remove the old foam and start over with somthing else?

Tuff shernuff LOL.
A foam like pipe insulation wont go round in a circle without buldging out in the seam. Some fancy bias cutting and super gluewould be needed.
Then the leather cover would need to be cut undersize and drawn tight with the thread to get a good fit. Trial and error my friend. It works for me in these situations but I got a LOT more time than money. Good luck

How about somthing i could "inject" in between the metal core and the foam without removing it?

What I did was get inject weather strip glue with a sryinge from the back side so as not to be visible if a it left a mark. Then after injecting the glue rotate foam back and forth to spread glue. Do this in multi spots until satisfied with firmness. This worked very well!! Good Luck!

I was thinking silicon,but that sounds better.Do you mean the yellow 3M
"gorilla snot" in the red and white tube?

-
Back