tuff wheel

-

mikess68

Reaction score
when adding a tuff wheel to a 72 dart swinger that has a standard 3 spoke wheel, is it necessary to add a spacer/adaptor to bring the wheel out to the normal distance. i see the standard wheel is about 3 inches or more deep while the tuff wheel is only 1 1/2. , if so, then did all the spacers looke the same, like should the dart be smooth or have ribs like a cuda?? tks :read2:

when adding a tuff wheel to a 72 dart swinger that has a standard 3 spoke wheel, is it necessary to add a spacer/adaptor to bring the wheel out to the normal distance. i see the standard wheel is about 3 inches or more deep while the tuff wheel is only 1 1/2. , if so, then did all the spacers looke the same, like should the dart be smooth or have ribs like a cuda?? tks :read2:

Without the spacer your hands will hit the turn signal switch.......you need a smooth spacer. The ribbed on is for the Cuda's

my tuff wheel has no spacer ,yes my fingers are close to the dash pad but they clear, yes my hand did hit the turn signal switch but with a wrench and a pair of pliars we had the turnsignal switch bent down further and now all is good

I agree with Hemimark, we put a 79 LRT tuff wheel and spacer (smooth) on my sons 72 Scamp and everything was good.

Bob

my tuff wheel has no space yes my fingers are close to the dash pad but they clear, yes my hand did hit the turn signal switch but with a wrench and a pair of pliars we had the turnsignal switch bent down further and now all is good

Wheel looks good, Mopardrt.

Thanks I had wanted a wooden tuff wheel then as the years passed I wanted a foam wheel then when I went to purchase the regualr foam wheel no one could get me one so all I could get was the wooden one so thats what I now have

Mike,
We have found a "Rim-Blow" steering wheel in a 73 Dart and a Tuff Wheel in a 79 Dodge Truck, and both had the longer adaptors. They came off easily with a steering wheel puller. The Tuff Wheel will be fixed up and a new horn button installed and then it's going on my sons 74 Swinger. The Horn-Blow may end up on my 72 D100 truck. Hope these pictures help some.

This would be the Tuff Wheel I pulled from the 79 truck and put into my 72 D100 today. I polished up the spokes and painted up the horn button before adding the 4.5 inch wide steering wheel wrap. If you dont use the 4.5 wide, it wont wrap completely. You can see the adaptor from the side shot. I guess it doesn't look too bad compared to the old cracked wheel that was in the 72 originaly.

yup they usually use a spacer..

tuffwheel003.jpg

tuffwheel006.jpg

tuffwheel007.jpg

tuffwheel009.jpg

tuffwheel010.jpg

thanks guys, good info! ill look for the spacer first due to "short" wife driving the car eventually. tks

mopardrt, who made your wheel? I don't think I've ever seen one like that without the rivets in the wood grip. I had an older aftermarket steering wheel years ago with the rivets in the wood, and didn't like how it felt. Yours looks great, BTW.

This would be the Tuff Wheel I pulled from the 79 truck and put into my 72 D100 today. I polished up the spokes and painted up the horn button before adding the 4.5 inch wide steering wheel wrap. If you dont use the 4.5 wide, it wont wrap completely. You can see the adaptor from the side shot. I guess it doesn't look too bad compared to the old cracked wheel that was in the 72 originaly.

Just curious. Do you know how in the heck your dash ended up looking like someone to a BFH to it?

-
Back