Tuning my DIY Electronic Ignition :)

-

1966DartConvertible

Reaction score
Got my distributor fixed, now mapping the ignition timing vs. RPM vs. load using the handheld trigger.

I can retard/advance the ignition timing at every 300rpm increments (or 500rpm increment if you wish) (15 steps i.e. 0 - 4500rpm) vs. load (throttle). Here is a picture or two :

IMG00479-20120923-1717.jpg

and here ive also fitted the 3-3/8" Sun Pro Tacho on the column (can't fit on top, no clearance)

IMG00477-20120923-1715.jpg

:)

Syed
Malaysia

Really neat. Your car must draw a lot of interest there.

Since you are so electronics savy, I suggest adding a knock sensor. I grabbed parts off a GM truck. I put the sensor in my slant's drain plug, using a 3/8 NPT to 1/4" NPT adapter. They screw directly into an SB or BB drain (as does GM). I know some people will claim "engine specific", but hobbyists have found that GM used the same PN sensor and module on several engines V-6, V-8, maybe even fours. What matters more is pushrods or OHV since the module must disregard valve clatter. It is certainly better than using one's ear. By the time you hear ping in the cabin, pre-ignition is severe.

Electrical connection is fairly simple. One wire from sensor to module. The module gets 12 V ignition power, gnd, sensor, and outputs a 5 V TTL signal for knock. You can use that to just light an LED in the cabin to know when too advanced for the conditions, or maybe your spark controller can even act on the signal. The Holley Commander 950 I have can.

I have a whole bag of sensors and modules from the junkyard. I think I need for all my engines eventually, but could grab another set next time if you want and can't get on ebay (GM V-8's must be rare in Malaysia). Maybe $20 USD for a set (price varies with who is manning the checkout). I could probably get them to Indonesia within a year or two when my wife makes a trip, since shipping is probably easier from there. Her brother used to travel to Singapore regularly, so maybe even to there. Let me know if interested.

Your car is very nice.

By fixing the distributor, did that involve locking out the mechanical advance? Did you also go from points to electronic pick-up?

Your car is very nice.

By fixing the distributor, did that involve locking out the mechanical advance? Did you also go from points to electronic pick-up?

Thanks.

Yeah took out the weight and springs and lock the mech adv. Still using points to trigger for now.

Syed

-
Back