Tunnel question

-

WyKev

Reaction score
Okay, I've been reading everything here I can find, but the Noob has a question. I have a 71 dart, was a column shift auto car. Nothing is in it right now and I was pondering selling the 727 and doing a 4sp.

Here is the question- Folks keep talking about needing a different trans tunnel. Why??? I have some ideas, but would love to get the straight stuff.

The floor-shifted manual needs the addition of a "hump" to accommodate the shifter body. There may be slightly more to it, as I haven't converted a Mopar yet, but that's the primary reason as I understand it.

Yep, needs clearance for the shifter mechanism and the linkages. It'll be skewed to the driver's side just a bit. Here's a pic to give ya an idea as I have done the conversion.

Here is the pic

Handle3.jpg

Well that adds a layer of complication to the swap. I don't suppose anyone makes a repop of the hump section?

repops are available. Has anyone made one that doesn't have the cat convertor cut out where a patch is needed for the earlier cars.

Check any of the sheetmetal providers (AMD, goodmark, shermans) or maybe Brewers. They are basically all the same.

It is available,
took me 1 minute to search Mopar sheet metal.
Many others have it too so you can price shop.
Found it at Dante's Mopar Parts

Hmmmm, well, there goes my excuse! LOL Have to start shopping around. A 4 spd just has to be more fun than a 2500 stall and a manual 727, don't you think?:-D

Hmmmm, well, there goes my excuse! LOL Have to start shopping around. A 4 spd just has to be more fun than a 2500 stall and a manual 727, don't you think?:-D

Ummmmmmm..... YES IT IS!!!

Having done 4 speed swaps on e bodies, yes. Nothing like shifting to second and getting squirrely. The 727 might chirp or lay a couple of inches of rubber, but what fun is that?

-
Back