turbo is smoking out the down pile

-

bigtommy

old school power
Reaction score
NOT a mopar,
me and my friend bought a turbo kit off of ebay and we hooked everything up right(we think). we are only running 4psi of boost and every time he starts the car up, it will smoke out of the down pile(he is running a open down pile by the way). its white smoke but once it warms up, it doesn't really smoke anymore. maybe still just a little smoke but not much. i mean when we start it, it smokes like crazy. we both don't know why in the hell it is smoking like that so i thought maybe somebody on here could tell me why it smokes starting it. oh and another thing, it doesnt wanna idle right, like coming to a stop it likes to shut off? we tried changing the spark plug gap .10'' less then what stock is(stock is .44 so we put it to .34) but is seems to miss more at high rpms then is did at .44''. so we put it back to .44''. another thing, when we unhook the mas air flow senser( cant spell) it idles good and doesn't miss at high rpm(still smokes like a *****) so could there be something wrong with the mas air flow senser making it miss? thank you to anyone who can help us.

Hard to diagnose with little information. What kind of car, what are you using for engine management? Does the car have a cam in it? Any surging?

If motor is in good shape, miss is either spark or fuel. Pull the plug wires off one at a time, when you get to a cylinder where nothing changes that means spark on that hole isn't going.

If all plugs make it worse, then its probably an injector.

With MAF unplugged, you are revving it in neutral and it doesn't miss? Problems might be oil on the sensor wire, or the MAF doesn't like being wherever the turbo relocated it. Unplugged MAF the car is running off tables instead of actual maf reading. Usually they won't drive without the MAF plugged in, but even if it does I wouldn't drive it, especially with the turbo.

Sounds like blowby for the smoke. Or when you boost it, the car is pushing oil past the PCV valve. Try plugging the PCV and see if it goes away after a bit. Also check PCV an vacuum hoses for oil.

Stalling at stoplights is either lean or rich, probably lean. Could be MAF again. Could be tune.

Good luck

Steve

A used turbo? The smoke out the down pipe could be the turbo. Let it cool down to ambient and pull the pipe off and see if you have signs of the seals or bearings going. From the few I've seen, it's visible in the housing.
As far as the stalling... You need to provide a lot more... Answer LXs questions... Be as detailed as you can.

Ya it could be a turbo seal. Did you pre oil the turbo cartrige before you started it? as Moper said pull the down pipe and see if it oily inside. If it is turbo will need new seals.

A little white smoke out the exhaust of my semi's usually ends up with oil all over the side of the sleeper.

IE the seal in the turbo is cracked and leaking oil into the exhaust side of the turbo.

If we idle the semi over night fuel will seep into the exhaust pipes and when the driver starts out after idling for the night the truck will leave white smoke out the exhaust.

So here's 2 idea's what could be the problem.
Fuel seeping or oil seal.

Marv

-
Back