turbo ????

-

earthmover

in the tire smoke
Reaction score
hey gang was talking to a buddy of mines today.. (truck driver as well as myself) an he has a holeset turbo that works on a dump truck.. he got it for his old truck cummins 425hp could or would this thing work on a big block:D:D and if so how much power can it make on the motor??? just a guess on hp....would it be hard to use this turbo on the big block????i dont know alot about them but have read a little and watched alot..lol thanks mike :glasses7:

measure the compressor inlet....and exhaust wheel outlet.....IN MILLIMETERS.....then get back to us.....or post some pics of it.

Diesels only turn 3500rpm.......so 1/2 air cfm comparison

turbos that work well with a V 8 tend to be OEM for Natural Gas and Diesel engines twice the size of the gasoline V8 they work well on.......for example....a Garret GT42 with a 104mm compressor is OE for a Cummins 14L I6....just sayin'

You must be reading my mind. I have a fresh turbo from a early Series 60 Detroit. I've been reading the old book "How to Select and Install Turbochargers" by Hugh MacInnes. There is a lot to it. It goes way over my head, but it just might work.

i will see if i can get the #'s off it.. it may be like the 1 on my truck so i will check my #'s as well...:glasses7:

ok sorry been a while guys the turbo is a holset hx55....i know they are used at diff. power levels on trucks.. my truck can be turned up to 475 with no problem of the turbo but the motor itself.. so what kinda power can this thing make on a 400 big block:D:D got a buddy thats thinking of trying it out.. i have no idea about boost:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: but a little on nos lol

From what I have heard a HX55 would work on a smaller small block. 273-360 ish..

Diesel turbos have a oil seal in them that are not designed for the vacuum of a gas motor, might look into changing the oil seal out.

You must be reading my mind. I have a fresh turbo from a early Series 60 Detroit. I've been reading the old book "How to Select and Install Turbochargers" by Hugh MacInnes. There is a lot to it. It goes way over my head, but it just might work.
What are the numbers on it? Is it a TV? should be a TV and 4 numbers..

-
Back