Turn Signal Cam Repair

-

I8NEMO

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
68 Barracuda no tilt .
Sorry guys, there's many threads on turn signal issues yet I couldn't find one specific to this cam replacement. My car is currently electrically perfect, the only issue I have is the signal cancellation cam tabs are broken.

I think im not even going to mess with this repair and buy a new switch. It looks like the two tabs need to be pried up to release the parts. I started working on one tab and thought, I'm just gonna destroy the plastic. Anyone successful at this?

20230516_154507.jpg

20230517_120322.jpg

I'm not saying it's impossible—it's not—but the steps usually go like this:

1. Take a close, careful look at the switch and figure out how it's held together.

2. Get a replacement cam.

3. Take apart the switch, being careful not to let spring-loaded parts fly away.

4. Fetch a flashlight and go hunting for the spring-loaded parts that flew away.

5. Clean the dirty contact points.

6. Test-fit the replacement cam. Worry because it doesn't look like it's going to fit quite exactly the same as the original.

7. Get exasperated trying to get it to fit together. Keep at it. Worry increasingly that it's going to break. Turn up the music so you don't hear the snap.

8. Just make it fit. Force it. Bend the tabs so it's held firmly together.

9. Find the cam is locked in position and will not move.

10. Loosen the tabs a little so the cam moves and the assembly is still sorta held mostly together.

11. Reinstall the switch, praying constantly.

12. Try out the signals. If left front and rear blink when you push the lever down; right front and rear blink when you push the lever up; brake lights work correctly in all three positions, and front turn signals do not light up steadily when you step on the brake, your step-11 prayers were answered. If some or all of this doesn't work correctly, your step-11 prayers were still answered, just the answer was "LOLnope", so go back to step 3 and see if you can figure out what's wrong.

13. In a few weeks or months, notice the signals no longer self-cancel in one or both directions, or you have to hold the lever firmly up or firmly down to make the front and rear signals work, so…

14. …Replace the complete switch.

(people sometimes ask why I went on a mission to find and supply OE-quality new turn signal switches)

Dan, you're hilarious! thanks for the laugh I needed one today and thanks for confirming for me my gut instinct to ditch it.

-
Back