Turn Signal Cam

-

74Dusted

Stock Piler of 340's
Reaction score
Where can I get a good quality new cam? Years ago I bought one of those "HELP" line replacement cams and installed it in my '74 Duster, you couldn't move the turn signal stalk at all. So I tore it back out and upon a close inspection I found that the HELP line cam was larger in every given dimension when compared to the broken original cam I removed.

I tossed the replacement Cam on the shelf and robbed/borrowed the original one from my '72 Demon.

Well that old cam was finally done last year. I'd have to hold the turn signal stalk up for right turns. And if I really put the car through its paces (twisting winding roads), the turn signals will flip themselves on from spinning the steering wheel in a rapid movement.

Since my car is going to be torn apart anyway for Paint & a 4-Speed conversion, I might as well replace that cam too. So where do I get a good quality one that actually works/fits

If you want to be screwing with the directional signals in a year or two, pop in a help cam. That switch is all warn out, and so brake lights, and other lighting issues will soon start as all those circuits run through the signal switch. Why don’t you fix the worn out switch correctly by getting a new one.

If you want to be screwing with the directional signals in a year or two, pop in a help cam. That switch is all warn out, and so brake lights, and other lighting issues will soon start as all those circuits run through the signal switch. Why don’t you fix the worn out switch correctly by getting a new one.

Why the hostility? I think you misunderstood my post.

I installed a Help Cam in the car, It didn't work, So I installed an original cam ("borrowed it" from my '72 Demon) Because at the time, I couldn't find anything but HELP replacements, so it was either No turn signals, or a used one from one of my other cars

That original cam worked fine until last year, when it finally started acting up. So I posted, asking where to get a good quality New part instead.

EDIT : Mopar to ya and Gastona, I'll check with NAPA to see what they've got. I appreciate the suggestion.

He didn't sound hostile to me, but he has a point. You are probably going to have issues with a near 40 year old switch. My brake light on one side just went bad at the end of the season and I traced it back to the turn signal switch. My Napa cam works beautifully, but now my switch is failing. You can do it either way.

Herbsparts. We just put one in a 69 Charger; old one was missing up the brake lights. We also learned that even though it was self-cancelling, it still had brakes erratic, as it needed just a hair more movement.

We backed out the three screws, and put a thin washer under them and the plate. Works now.

I got a couple of high quality replacement cams from a guy named David Koldos, 115 Hill Ave, Elgin, IL 60120-4412, PH 847-888-2652, [email protected]. He got tired of the available stuff and made his own. They come with installation instructions and lifetime guarantee. I don't know if he makes them for the later a-bodies but you can probably e-mail him to check.

I carry replacement cams and haven't had any negative feedback from anyone using one with a stock steering wheel. Aftermarket wheels are another story. This assumes your switch is otherwise in good condition electrically. If it's sketchy at all, get a whole new switch. Mine are the Shee-Mar brand and run $12 plus the ride.
Thanks, Mark

I didn’t intend to sound hostile, just saving a few electrons on not out-gassing extra words…

I didn’t intend to sound hostile, just saving a few electrons on not out-gassing extra words…

Sorry, I assumed it was hostile. I was wrong.

I'll check the switch though, Last time I had the wheel off, it appeared to be great (cosmetically) unlike the cam which was really showing its age. 40 year old plastic that's designed to bend just doesn't live forever :D

-
Back