Turn Signal Circuit is Dead

-

pastortom1

Reaction score
I'm at wits end with this one (like most wiring problems).

I have absolutely no turn signals. No power is being sent from the switch to anything....no indicators, no signals, no power at the flasher terminals.

I checked the plug at the end of the switch harness.... looks good and clean.

4 ways work, but a bit fast I think...not too bad. Tails work, parks work, brakes work......power goes into the switch harness and fires the 4 ways, but no power goes to the turn side of the switch unless the 4 ways are on.

There are 2 terminals that are hot in this harness. One is the 'horn hot' (black with w/stripe), and a pink wire that goes into the 4 way switch.......BUT, that pink terminal is 'voltage impaired'......it seems to be going through a resistor or something, where the 'horn hot' is full battery. Horn works fine too.

The switch worked perfectly before we installed the new Grant steering wheel.....BUT, we can't find any wires missing or disconnected........WHAT ARE WE MISSING?

Dead turns mean no drive. If you have any pointers, we could sure use your help on this one.

Thanks guys............................

did you try replacing the signal stat?(switch)

sometimes coincidents happen...........but if it stopped working after the steering wheel was changed most likely the problem exist there.
Get wiring diagrams........that way you can follow paths of power, grounds, relay, fuses, fuseable links..etc

If four ways are working, it should mean your signals should work. Sometimes the four ways can be wired through the brake lights though. Once again why a wiring diagram is key.

Yes, the brake lights work.....it's a '72 Demon automatic with 4 ways on the column......4 ways work from the same switch as the turns.......turns are the only thing thats dead........

If I test for voltage on the turn signal terminals, shouldn't there be something hot there when the key is on?

Even though the four-ways are part of the same assembly they are not part of the same switch. Also, there are two differnet flashers. One for the four ways and one for turn signals. I'd have to check the diagrams to see what should be hot.

The turn signals in the '72 Demon (which we assume is the same as MANY A-Bodies with auto and the 4 way on the column) are powered by the same fuse strip as the back-up lights and the horn. If there is a problem with any of the outer circuits, it could affect the turns.

We were blowing fuses as soon as we put them in the slot marked "Radio / Back-Ups.........The turn signals were totally dead, EXCEPT when the 4 ways were on....THEN the turn switch was hot....but NOT hot on it's own.

We disconnected the Radio, and it still blew fuses. One problem eliminated.

We clipped the wire in the trunk for the back-ups, and hot wired them to the fuse block. They worked, but since we bypassed the back-up switch, they were on all the time. This eliminated the lights as the problem.

At this point, we reconnected the red wire in the fuse block (for the radio/back-up circuit), and tested for voltage at the turn flasher, which to this point had been dead. Now there was power when the key was on. We tested the turns, and they worked perfectly again.

Acoording to our not so precise calculations, we figure that there must be a dead short in the back-up light system, most likely the switch or thereabouts. Since the turns do NOT have their own power block, but share the block with the back-ups, they were dead.

I hope this helps you guys at some point.......took 2 hot days out of my life....(100 degrees in the shade)......you can thank me later.

Doc (I hope to post a picture of this car pretty soon......haven't quite gotten there yet..........sweet ride when it's workin'.......)

-
Back