Turn signal lever snapped off 64 Valiant - what can I use?

-

Kmrumedy

Reaction score
Preparing to pass provincial inspection to get my 64 Valiant on the street and just discovered the turn signal arm has been snapped off at the base. Grrrr! I don't have the lever. Seller broke it just before sale. Wish he had mentioned it.

Does anyone know what year levers are compatible? Is this an easy fix? I am assuming I have to pull the steering wheel but not sure how much I unfasten or what I have to unfasten. Anyone ever done this? Ordered a service manual but it won't come for weeks.

Anyone have a lever for sale or know where I can get one? eBay has a NOS for sale but no way am I paying $150 for a lever.

Any help or suggestions welcome.

Don't panic. It's just a turn signal lever. Every a-body had one so I'm sure one of the parts guys here has one.

I would be surprised if a nice, used one cost more than $5.00

Don't panic. It's just a turn signal lever. Every a-body had one so I'm sure one of the parts guys here has one.

i would be surprised if a nice, use one cost more than $5.00

Thank you. I am not so much panicking in as much as this now delays my inspection date by several weeks as I source and fix.

I don't know but in my book if you are selling a car to someone 1000 miles away and break off the turn signal by accident....you mention it. It wouldn't have stopped me buying the car but I could have planned for it and I would have known about it instead of it being a nasty surprise.

Ill dig you up one and send it along. PM me with your address!

As for changing it out, you need to remove the steering wheel with a wheel puller, then you will see a screw that holds on the canceling cam. That screw is about 2 1/2" long and holds on the signal lever also. Just unscrew it, wiggle the lever tang out of the hole and insert the new lever and run the screw back in. The lever has a raised ledge on the mounting end to locate it and actuate the canceling cam!

Total time to insert a new lever... About 10 minutes!! Geof

I believe all a-bodies will work. I have an extra early one (all chrome ) if you want it, send me a pm.

Ill dig you up one and send it along. PM me with your address!

As for changing it out, you need to remove the steering wheel with a wheel puller, then you will see a screw that holds on the canceling cam. That screw is about 2 1/2" long and holds on the signal lever also. Just unscrew it, wiggle the lever tang out of the hole and insert the new lever and run the screw back in. The lever has a raised ledge on the mounting end to locate it and actuate the canceling cam!

Total time to insert a new lever... About 10 minutes!! Geof

Hope you are a good lookin' man Geof cause I'm gonna kiss ya! :D

Will send PM. Thank you so much!

if your lever is missing-- hopefully the actual actuator inside the column is unscathed.. I also can send you a crusty spare(lever) one from a 68-69 vehicle-- if needed. Hopefully the bolt backed out & the arm just fell out-- you will know when the steering wheel is removed & a visual inspection of the turn signal mechanism is inspected. Lawrence

if your lever is missing-- hopefully the actual actuator inside the column is unscathed.. I also can send you a crusty spare(lever) one from a 68-69 vehicle-- if needed. Hopefully the bolt backed out & the arm just fell out-- you will know when the steering wheel is removed & a visual inspection of the turn signal mechanism is inspected. Lawrence

It is actually snapped off. There is still about a 1/4 inch of the lever sticking out but not enough to grab hold of or turn the indicator on.

I am going to start a resto thread on the car and post pictures of the lever snap.

I HUGE thank you goes out to Cosgig who is actually sending me 2 levers (one of each style). Doesn't want any payment and he is covering shipment.

I am humbled. So generous! Thank you.

Where do I post those Good Guy Threads?

Here is the car Geof that your lever is helping to get on the street.

image_zpsb11c9e03.jpg

-
Back