Turn Signal Lights dismantle on 67 Barracuda

-

cudajareav

Reaction score
Long story short...

all lights quit working and I have found the problem coming from the front Driver
15032628791451146478597.jpg
side Flasher.

We tried to take it apart as you can see and the socket got pretty damaged.

Do we need to buy a whole new light unit or can I just get the wire plug and fit it into the unit again?

Not sure you can buy just the wire it was a unit , you can probably fix it with care but you can also get the whole thing minus the lense and trim for pretty cheap here on FABO

I found, that on my 67 B-Cuda, that I had to make, and run a seporate ground wire for each light, to get them to function properly. I soldered on a ground wire on each fixture, about a foot long and attached them to the rad support, so they are not visible. that fixed the problems I was having with my front turn signals. If you have problems, after your repair consider this.

barracudadave67

Not sure you can buy just the wire it was a unit , you can probably fix it with care but you can also get the whole thing minus the lense and trim for pretty cheap here on FABO

That's sort of the direction I'm thinking. Thanks!

OK the original ground path was through the crimped lip of the bulb socket to the cast metal fixture. I once found a similar fixture fault to have a huge gob of solder melted all around in attempt to correct that metal against metal current path. Yep the solder had turned loose, probably a few times given the amount of solder found. I cleaned away some solder, drilled a tiny hole against the crimped lip and inserted a little screw. ( No idea where this little screw came from, just something rolling around in my toolbox ). The screw head didn't touch the bulbs globe, fixed it, hopefully forever.
The type of socket you have in your trunk just might work but... it doesn't have a weather gasket. Make a thin rubber washer gasket? Simple enough.
Another suggestion... There is a mostly plastic 3 wire bulb socket ( 1157 plus ground ) with a gasket that twist locks into a fixture. These were also inside the trunk of many different applications. This type of socket is likely available on the HELP line of part stores too.
You would need to whittle/reshape the round hole in the back of your fixture for the twist lock fit,,, If that hole isn't already too large. I aint tried this, just throwing the thought out there.
Or buy a good used OEM fixture/socket assembly.

I had a couple of bad sockets on my dart. I tore the rusted originals out and bought a replacement socket and pigtail from the auto parts store. I cleaned the housings up, popped the new sockets in and folded the retaining tabs over. I cut and soldered the factory working and plugs on. They've worked great for years.
Socket PT41 | O’Reilly Auto Parts

I had a couple of bad sockets on my dart. I tore the rusted originals out and bought a replacement socket and pigtail from the auto parts store. I cleaned the housings up, popped the new sockets in and folded the retaining tabs over. I cut and soldered the factory working and plugs on. They've worked great for years.
Socket PT41 | O’Reilly Auto Parts
Yeah, that's like what we have in the trunk. I'm curious though... Without a gasket do you find condensation on those lenses?

Yeah, that's like what we have in the trunk. I'm curious though... Without a gasket do you find condensation on those lenses?

Haven't had a problem with it yet. The past year it's been garage kept since I bought a house. But it was my daily driver in the elements for a few years before that. You could always run you a bit of silicone over it if needed. Or maybe even solder it to the housing.

I found, that on my 67 B-Cuda, that I had to make, and run a seporate ground wire for each light, to get them to function properly. I soldered on a ground wire on each fixture, about a foot long and attached them to the rad support, so they are not visible. that fixed the problems I was having with my front turn signals. If you have problems, after your repair consider this.

barracudadave67
I did about the same thing.

-
Back