Turn Signal Switch replacement

-

Dustdevl340

Westie Dad & All Around Mopar Fanatic
Reaction score
Received a reproduction EL26 switch assembly last week. We installed it but the 4 way doesn't work, is pretty much junk. When we activate the signal for a right turn, the right indicator in the dash shows correctly but my tail lights and front signals alternately flash like a cop car. Did we do something wrong on the install or is this switch simply crap? Made in Taiwan of course. I've heard others seem to have issues with these repro switches so before we pull it and send it back I'd like to be sure it isn't something that we did wrong.

Car is a 70 Duster with manual steering.

Been there, done that, seen it done, and happens every time with the cheap switch.
The contact spring wires need to be spread apart about .010-.015 on each side for them to work right.

If all else fails, contact Slantsixdan, he's got US made ones, nice quality and not too expensive.

If you look very closely at a OEM switch, notice how some of the wire leads appear to have been pressed flat, bent, and formed to lay without interfering with switch movement or distorting a somewhat weak plastic foundation. Without ever seeing or handling a "slant eyed sourced" aftermarket switch, I feel like this is where they are dropping the ball. If they don't properly lay the wires first, then just cram the assembly in a box, the switch and its internal contacts could be distorted.
In any case, with any switch, check the plastic for mold slag, draw the 3 screws down evenly so the switch mounts flat to the base plate. Tweaking the wire routing ( turn away from switch and down the column ) can only help.

Ok, the Taiwanese part will be going back.

Got an old school mechanic 12 minute walk from the house. He fixed the old one for me, works like a charm and didn't cost me an arm and a leg.

Adding Slant Six Dan's webpage to my favourites in the event something else goes wrong.

-
Back