Turn signals acting weird

-

Vali68

Reaction score
I noticed last week that my turn signals were acting strange, so I replaced the signal flasher. It seemed to help for a while, but now they are acting strange again. When I turn on the signal, the signal starts flashing really fast like it's on speed or something. I have a 68 Valiant slant 6 with no mods to it or the electrical. Could it possibly be one of the bulbs is burning out or something? Seems to be for both left and right turn signal. Or should i look into pulling the steering wheel to check the turn signal mechanism?

The number one reason a flasher does that is because there is a short somewhere in the circuit.
It could very well be a bad socket and that's where I would start. (by pulling all the bulbs and inspecting the sockets)
If both sides do it, then it's probably in the column or harness.

I would also pull all the bulbs and see if it still flashes on the dash without them, and if it does you for sure have a short.
Bulbs won't cause this by themselves.

Model year? Some cars use the signal flashers as part of the 'fuel pacer' system. My '75 drove me nuts until I researched it.

Ah yes, the "fuel pacer." That has not raised it's ugly head in awhile. What a stupid idea. "Nearly" as "catchy" as sticking the shifter buttons in the middle of the wheel LOL

20227390763_54a86b1e97.jpg

Fuel pacer:

fuelpacerenginebaydiagram-jpg.1714587027

I've had loose or unseated pins at the steering column connector. I use a small screw driver to push each one in from the back. I've also had bad grounds since the socket grounds through the tail light/turn signal housing.

My 66 Belvedere has just recently changed from "frantic" to "flicker strobe".
Bought new flasher unit.
Really sedate timing.
New unit does not fit dashboard clip, I will be looking for old style heater/clicker specifically now, and check diameter.
Back to old flasher.
Still getting used to the frantic thing, it's
impossible to mistake for brake lights, though.

-
Back