Turn signals on drivers side only

-

demon322

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
71 Demon. Turn signals work on the drivers side, but blink really slowly. Nothing on the passenger side. The dash indicator for that side does not come on but the drivers side does. Replaced all bulbs and same result. What to check next? Thanks.

I'd pull the flasher and bypass it with a wire jumper, to start. Then see if you get any power to either / both sides.

You can download free service manuals and wiring diagrams at MyMopar. Some of those came from the hard work by the guys here at FABO

You can access the TS signal coming out of the column and check voltages there, as well as the rear harness connector in the left side kick panel

Thanks for the reply. That sounds like a good place to start. I will give that a shot and report back. I struggle with electrical issues..

I bypassed the flasher with a jumper wire. The front light comes on but the rear does not on the passenger side. Both work on the drivers side. Haven't had the chance to check the turn signal harness where it comes out of the column but will soon after looking at some wiring diagrams.

I guess I should have mentioned, my brake lights also are not working. I was thinking this was a separate issue but after doing a little reading think it might possibly be related? I have tail lights but no brake lights.

Starting to sound like a bad TS switch. Again, you can access the rear harness connector in the kick panel, look up the wire colors and check

Brake power goes through the turn signal switch.

Possibilities are things like the TS switch, the kick panel connector, pinched / cut wires in the rear harness, especially near the rear seat, and of course socket and bulb and grounding problems

Attachments

• 1kick.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 252
  • column.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 258
Hey demon322 let me know what you find I'm having the same issue but on the drivers side. When I pull the socket out the signal starts working but it back and it quits. I also struggle with electrical. Good luck.

Thanks! This will help greatly. I can't wait to check it out when I can get some garage time. Trying to track this down may just force me to tackle my fear of wiring/electrical work. Time to learn a few things.

I just got mine to work, apparently the socket wasn't grounding properly due to age and time sitting I guess. I moved it around a little and now its good. Hope yours is as easy also.

I'd pull the flasher and bypass it with a wire jumper, to start. Then see if you get any power to either / both sides.

You can download free service manuals and wiring diagrams at MyMopar. Some of those came from the hard work by the guys here at FABO

You can access the TS signal coming out of the column and check voltages there, as well as the rear harness connector in the left side kick panel

That's a good place to look, a while back a guy was having kinda the same issues, I think he found cob webs or something like that in the plug.

The brake switch is hot, so I moved to the turn signal switch next. Nothing is showing to be hot here, key on or off. (Assuming I am testing it correctly.) I disconnected the plug and checked the wire for the brake switch and both turn signals and nothing shows on the test light.

Disregard. Looks like the plug has to stay connected for anything to work. That makes sense (like I said, very new at this.) Have brake lights here and left side signals. The right front is hot but fear is not. At the body plug I'm not showing brake light to be hot or either passenger side signal. Does this sound right? So the problem could be in the wiring between the ts plug and body plug, or ts switch itself since no right rear there? Sorry. I'm doing a poor job of explaining I understand.

Disregard. Looks like the plug has to stay connected for anything to work. That makes sense (like I said, very new at this.) Have brake lights here and left side signals. The right front is hot but fear is not. At the body plug I'm not showing brake light to be hot or either passenger side signal. Does this sound right? So the problem could be in the wiring between the ts plug and body plug, or ts switch itself since no right rear there? Sorry. I'm doing a poor job of explaining I understand.

OK you lost me with description, say, "body plug" don't know what you mean

Yes everything needs to be hooked up. Take a meter or test lamp and make yourself a chart off the diagram, and do this:

Key on "run", with a good flasher or the flasher socket bypassed

Go to the red wire, fourth from the top in the diagram wire at the TS switch connector coming out of the column. This should be hot as it is the flasher power

Check and make certain that the 4x flasher switch is off

Now pull the switch to left turn and check for power at the same connector, check Light GreeN and Dark GreeN which is front and rear, left side.

If you have it there, pull the switch to right turn and check the two "right" wires, TAN and RED (second from top) and see if you have that. If you don't have power at the red, say, but do at the tan, then check both sides of the TS connector, that is the car harness side and the TS switch side. If you have it on "both halves" then you have found the problem........the TS switch is bad.

If you DO have both left rear and right rear, coming out of the switch, move to the kick panel connector for the harness going to the rear. Again, check left and right, on the dark green and red, which go to the rear from that connector. If you have it at the TS switch but not on both halves of that connector, the problem is somewhere right in that area.

If you DO have both left and right , there, then the problem is either a crimped / broken harness going to the rear or right back at the sockets and bulbs.

Sorry for the confusion. I meant to say kick panel connector.

I gave up for the night and came inside but will try again tomorrow with fresh eyes. On the TS switch side with power on and TS switch that direction both greens blink with the test light. The right front doesn't blink but lights up solid on the test light with the switch in that direction but the right rear wire doesn't light the test lamp at all. The brake (white) wire does light the lamp when the pedal is pushed.

I very much appreciate your help and patience.

Seems I need a new TS switch. Testing at the TS switch connecter, flasher wire is hot. When TS lever in that direction, both left side wires hot and flash. Right front solid but doesn't flash. Right rear wire nothing.

Thanks. I'll get one on the way and hope for the best.

Do I need any pullers for this job? If I recall the tuff wheel is held on by 3 nuts. Not sure if anything else had to be removed to access the switch.

Thanks. I'll get one on the way and hope for the best.

Do I need any pullers for this job? If I recall the tuff wheel is held on by 3 nuts. Not sure if anything else had to be removed to access the switch.

Start by consulting the service manual. You can download them free from MyMopar

AbodyJoe did an excellent pictorial on tearing the column apart for TS and ignition

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=128836

I spent my day working on a similar issue. Left all worked fine but right only the rear flashed slowly. Turned out to be a contact in the switch in the column. Fixed it by rubbing contacts with some 600grit sandpaper. Once back together all working fine.

I think a poor contact can cause reduced power which effects only some of the system. Not an expert but hope it helps.

Thanks 67 Dart and Aus Cuda. I look forward to getting in there and hopefully getting this fixed!

New switch is in and all lights are working!! Thanks again to 67Dart for all his help and for Abody Joe for posting the instructions on replacing the TS and ignition switch.

But now I have 2 new issues. The steering wheel doesn't lock and there is a strange noise coming from the column. Also steering seemed much tighter than before. I hope I didn't hurt something during the install or reassembly of the column.

Not related to this job but found it when checking light functions. My reverse lights remain on with the car in drive. I think there is a switch on the transmission but I haven't had time to check it out yet. I wonder if something is just out of adjustment since I have an aftermarket hurst shifter and swapped to a floor shift column. The 904 is out of a 68 Coronet.

That sounds more like a bad switch or wiring. The later cars like yours have a three terminal NSS. The center terminal is neutral safety, the outer two are reverse lights.

I can't help you much with the mechanical column "goings ons"

Thanks as always 67Dart.

I hope to be back at the car tomorrow and can do some further digging. I am thinking about starting with replacing the switch since they are fairly inexpensive and that way I would know I have a good switch. After doing a bit of reading, it sounds like I first need to confirm that the switch in the trans matches the wiring from my car. I was told the 904 came out of a '68 which it seems is the last year for the old style NSS. Hopefully that's not the case and I have the three prong switch.

Yeah, or it's an early trans and somebody put a late switch on it.

I hadn't thought of that possibility. If the new switch is a screw in replacement for the old switch I could see how that might could happen. I know the (rooster comb?) is different inside the trans for the older models. If that was the case would they light up at all? On those old models the reverse light switch was inside the car correct? If it does have an old switch in the trans it might be wired to the hurst shifter that has been installed. I definitely have some things to check...

I was told you can make only the neutral function operate with a late switch in an early trans. Others on here claim that's not so. So ?? Don't know.

-
Back