Turn signals out on one side only, all bulbs are good

-

Downtime!

Better With A Big Block
Reaction score
Did a quick search and didn't find anything pertaining to my exact issue.

Had my first technical issue with the Scamp on todays drive. Turning right and the blinkers stopped blinking. Bulbs all illuminated (front, back and fender indicators) and stayed on, and it self cancelled after I made the turn. Checked the Hazard Flashers and all bulbs flashed like they should. Got home, pulled and checked all the bulbs and they are all good.

I think I have this one narrowed down to a possibly bad turn signal switch, but before I tear into the column, has anyone seen this condition before? Can the flasher relay go out for one side only?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I have not consulted a schematic, so what I write may not be exact for your car.

Typically, the blinker unit is on the center switch pole, so it is toggled for left and right. So if it works for one side it should work for the other. However it needs lamp load to operate, poor connection may keep it from blinking. I also think the bulbs have two filaments, one for turn signals, the other for park/run lights. The ground is common for both. Loss of ground results in odd behavior. Have you checked both filaments?

First bypass the flasher and recheck. I've seen "weird stuff" where one bulb was making poor contact, or the common connection in the bulb which should be the ground caused both filaments to be in series. (Same deal as an ungrounded socket) This can cause "fussy" flashers to "not flash" as the bulbs are not drawing enough current

Or take a couple of known good bulbs...........

I picked up all new bulbs last night, figured it couldn't hurt to replace them anyway. Will check all mentioned items too.

Thanks!

-
Back