Turn Signals

-

MoparSteve

Reaction score
OK, here is a strange one for you electrical gurus. I just notice that my left turn signal is getting slower? Meaning the time between each blink is longer then the right turn signal, acting like a toy that is running out of battery? Any insight?

flasher rate is altered with current flow. Like if you added a trailer with additional bulbs they flash faster. A slow side might mean a bad bulb but in many cases where there are only 2 bulbs per side, having one burned out would cause stand on and no flash. Hope this makes sense LOL
Good luck

flasher rate is altered with current flow. Like if you added a trailer with additional bulbs they flash faster. A slow side might mean a bad bulb but in many cases where there are only 2 bulbs per side, having one burned out would cause stand on and no flash. Hope this makes sense LOL
Good luck

It makes sense, except I don't have any burned out bulbs?

I think it could be caused by corrosion or a poor connection in in a light socket.
Agreed. Most often a weak ground in a front fixture. Does a indicater arrow on the instrument panel come on with the park lights ?
About bulbs... Their 2 little balls of solder for contacts become concave over time due to vibration and wear against a harder material (copper contacts in the sockets). They can be worn out bulbs and still burn.

The main thing to check on this and any electrical problem is to check the ground. Most of the light sockets on our mopars are only grounded by spring pressure or a screw thru paint. Clean the grounds and see how that works out.

Well, this just got a whole lot stranger. So I decided to time the difference between left and right signal. You know the clicking noise each time it blinks. Anyhow, the right side seems normal, so I decided to let the left side just keep on blinking, 6 or 7 blinks later. The signal is completely dead. No noise, no lights. I am a bit lost right now. Will check grounds tomorrow, hopefully that is it.

I think it could be caused by corrosion or a poor connection in in a light socket.

Bingo, I had an older GTI a while back that had the same problem and that's what it was. I'd remove all the bulbs and clean up any iffy connections or grime, regrease 'em before you put them back in to keep out any water.

If that fails I'd replace the flasher, they're cheap enough, though I wouldn't count out a ground.

Oh if I had a dollar for every mopar electrical gremlin I've had to deal with.....I'd have a lot nicer mopar...that's for sure! :D

Bingo, I had an older GTI a while back that had the same problem and that's what it was. I'd remove all the bulbs and clean up any iffy connections or grime, regrease 'em before you put them back in to keep out any water.

If that fails I'd replace the flasher, they're cheap enough, though I wouldn't count out a ground.

Oh if I had a dollar for every mopar electrical gremlin I've had to deal with.....I'd have a lot nicer mopar...that's for sure! :D

It was the flasher after all. $3 later. It is all good. Thanks :thumbrig:

-
Back