Tv today

-

MoparDaddy

Damn Right I Carry!
Reaction score
What's it like? I haven't had tv in 2-3 months now. Since we moved. There's a big antenna on the house, but I don't know how to hook it up to the house. There's a single wire coming off it that's just hanging there. Hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about.

Got to be, but it has a ground also

Idk. It looks like the end of the cable that screws in to the tv, but it certainly won't reach that far.

You can get coax extensions. Just measure how much more distance you need and buy a piece long enough. An electronic (best buy) place will know what you need.

Hope this help ya,

Any radio shack should have made up cables, 25, 50 ft, etc and connectors to join the two fittings. You can make up your own from bulk cable as well.

Thanks guys. I'll have to see if wal mart has it. They're the only store we have here lol

I don't shop at Wally but I'd think they would

I think you said there's a connector on the cable. Should have this on the end: This is a standard TV connector known technically as an "F" connector and this is the MALE end

F-Connector2.jpg

So you'll need cable with made-up ends and you'll need a female to female union, like this:

34-113.jpg

The other thing, though, is "what do you have" for a TV?

If yours is an older analog tuner, you'll need a digital converter box to receive off the air. You might remember the big flap over selling these with govt. issued rebate coupons when DTV got underway.

(Converter boxes show up on Craigslist but I NEVER see them in any of the thrift stores)

Of course if yours has a digital tuner, you can just hook it up, search for channels and go.

You might do some searching to see what's available over the air in your area. If you are in some extreme fringe area, and have no local translators (relay stations) there might not be much you can receive.

On the other hand, even a moderately urban area like Spokane, you can receive "some stuff" just with rabbit ears or other indoor antennas

There are many websites that will give you an idea of coverage in your area, but you have to watch them, as some do not show the low power translators that might be available

This one here is one of the better ones. The FCC's own site for my area is completely FOS. You can just enter your zip, and it generates a heading and signal strength comparison

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29

http://www.antennapoint.com/

I'm told I should be getting about 24 channels, but when I hooked up my digi antenna I picked up nothing. At least, I think it's a digital antenna...

You will need a digital convertor box unless you Tv is already digital you may need to switch it from Tv to cable in your TV menu options...Its been a long time since I have had an antenna so alot has change over the years...Bill

You will need a digital convertor box unless you Tv is already digital you may need to switch it from Tv to cable in your TV menu options...Its been a long time since I have had an antenna so alot has change over the years...Bill

Isn't that the truth. I'd just get satellite if I could afford it

You didn't really say if the TV is an older analog one or a newer digital
one. Unless I missed it.
As was said analog you will need a digital converter box.
They work just fine. We had one on our old tv before the tv died.

Was the TV working fine before the move? Maybe something got messed up
in the TV when you moved.

It may be just a case of adjusting the outside antenna direction.

Hope you figure it out.

You didn't really say if the TV is an older analog one or a newer digital one. Unless I missed it. As was said analog you will need a digital converter box. They work just fine. We had one on our old tv before the tv died. Was the TV working fine before the move? Maybe something got messed up in the TV when you moved. It may be just a case of adjusting the outside antenna direction. Hope you figure it out.
opps! Sorry. It's a 32" vizio. All I know is, it was purchased July 2011
The tv works fine. I transport my valuables pretty gingerly since I can't afford to replace them lol

Have you tried the channel scan mode? If so. I really don't know what to tell you other than there maybe something wrong with the antenna or the outside cable to it.

If you post the tv brand and model, we can probably Google it and find out if it has a digital tuner

Please do NOT get "taken in" by the B.S. about "digital antennas." There is no such thing. TV antennas work the same now as they always did. Of course this does not mean

that the antenna on the house in in functional condition, IE broken connections, etc

that it is pointed in the right direction

or that you have a strong enough signal to receive anything

There's other "FU" factors. Maybe? the antenna has a mast mount amplifier, which was powered through the coax. If this is the case, you I'm sure don't have the power supply at the TV end. You might be able to see "if you know what to look for" with a pair of binoculars. With no amp on the antenna, the cable should pretty much go right up to the antenna, might or might not have a separate matching transformer (balun) and then hook right to the antenna

On your TV:

Did you scan for channels? Did you browse around the menu? There's usually a setting for "antenna" or "cable" in the menu.

One example of a masthead amplifier. You hope you don't have this, if you don't have the power supply which goes down at the TV end

preamp-2.jpg

TV cable matching transformer / balun. On many antennas, this hooks the cable to the antenna

COTRAN.jpg

Like this: (Click the link)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_fB-tCivBE8w/S-DyK1cmNNI/AAAAAAAAALk/14AV0JXcnjM/s1600/IMGP1461.JPG

The antenna on the house is not connected. I also tried an antenna that was functioning a year ago, but got nothing

-
Back