TWIN SCOOPS 4" Hole location?

-

DOUGIE800

Reaction score
I have a pair of scoops I recently mounted On the Hood Of My Duster and itchy to drill the 4" Holes under the scoops. But Im having trouble figuring if the hood Is the same as A Dart/Demon hood. Theres a Link on FABO here found with pics of a semi circle cut into the bracing under the hood, my car does not have these but thinking I really don't need the semi circle? I have got some advice from few members but has anyone actually drilled these Holes into a Duster/Valiant hood? D

DSCN2072.jpg

DSCN2062.jpg

DSCN2100.jpg

Someone will correct me of I'm wrong but as I looked into this for my 71 Duster the hood on a Duster does not have the notches for functional scoops as the Duster's scoops never where functional as they are on the Dart's

I checked out a couple cars at shows and from what I saw no Duster had the notched braces but even non scooped Darts did.

Thanks 71, Kinda makes sence since The hood does have the holes to secure the scoops but not the semi circles Thinking I should be ok Don't really want to start cutting into the bracing anyway, but do want the extra air they may provide/Cosmectics of them. Do you use them on your Pymouth? Just Noticed you are from Edmonton also right on D

A couple of years ago I added scoops and cut out the 4in holes and fitted rubbers. I cut the holes with a jigsaw and as you can see cut a semi-circle on the bracing. I rust proofed the cut edge and repainted. The finish looks good and plenty of cooling! Without the holes there must be a certain amount of drag with the air going in and no-where to go?

Hood.jpg

2 Hole.jpg

Hole.jpg

The hole.jpg

hole rubber.jpg

Thats what I was looking for thanks, but I see gona have to attack the bracing, I was even thinking of putting a smaller hole/rubber grommet near the rear of scoop but one step at a time. nice car post a pic? When I have time will look maybe you have thanks D

Those scoops never came stock on a Duster. Dart, Demon and Coronet/Super Bee only.

Oh I believe they did Adam, DART DEMON for sure, and have seen old promo posters of 340 Dusters with the twin scoops. I could be wrong?? Im sure there will be someone on here that will say they bought bran new. D

A couple of years ago I added scoops and cut out the 4in holes and fitted rubbers. I cut the holes with a jigsaw and as you can see cut a semi-circle on the bracing. I rust proofed the cut edge and repainted. The finish looks good and plenty of cooling! Without the holes there must be a certain amount of drag with the air going in and no-where to go?

You did a beautiful job of modifying the hood to accommodate the holes & scoops. Looks great.

The cutting into the bracing doesn't seem to effect the strength or integrity of the hood. The cut into the bracing is only about 12mm at the deepest point. On a 1971 Duster Twister the scoops were an option, but were non functional. So with the holes and rubbers it is a good talking point with the purests! I think they look cool. My car is a numbers matching 1971 318 Duster Twister.

Side.jpg

Front.jpg

Nice car !! Mine was born as A Twister Also, 318 was stock with a 3sp man, 340 4 spd now. D

Thank you for this thread. I was wanting the same information cause I want to add these scopes to my Duster. Knowledge is power and this site has a lot of both.

71Plymouth your Duster is amazing sir. Good job on her.
Have to second that one Cherry Duster!! I got one hole/scoop done No big deal Hope next goes as well, Think I should use better fasteners to bolt the scoop down, the ones that came kinda cheap and If tightend too much they strip. D

Dougie I decided not to go for the scoops, I was also worried about getting stuck in the rain and having to detail under the hood after.

Going to do a black out hood treatment with the 340 wedge decal instead. I'm on the NW side of the city usually head out to White Oaks every fri night.

71 you Have any pics of your car On here? I had a look at your profile but the pics were not availble. Just curious If I have seen your car before Im sure I problably have. The rain under the hood yes small concern but the amount I drove my car last ten years rare to be caught In the rain. Since the 340 been under there seems like more heat being made/actually had It vapor lock I believe one hot day last summer so hope these help http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2482122

Hmm I cant say for sure Ive seen your car before, but hopefully next summer! Long story but last few summers been short for cruzing outta my control Hopefully 2010 will see some more miles. D

Have to second that one Cherry Duster!! I got one hole/scoop done No big deal Hope next goes as well, Think I should use better fasteners to bolt the scoop down, the ones that came kinda cheap and If tightend too much they strip. D

Thanks for the compliments. I know what you are saying about the fasteners, I used nyloc nuts. Before I bolted the scoops down, I put a bead of silicone instant gasket to go between the scoop & hood, as I found they don't sit quite flush. This bead needs to be on the outer edge so it doesn't ooze inward as it's a bit hard to clean off. This gave a nice finish. This way you only need to nip the fasteners up, as once the silicone is set the scoops are not going anywhere. The silicone shows up grey in the photo, but is black.

Hood.jpg

frontquarter.jpg
I to am going to install dual hood scoops on my 69 dart . I know they didn't have them for that year . I guess I'll be the only 69 in northern cal with dual hood scoops ?

Just picked up a 72 340 Demon it has the scoops in the hood and the 4" holes, is there a air cleaner that connects to the openings?

-
Back