**Twin Turbo 67 Dart Project**

-
Last I spoke with Wendy at SDCE the purple Duster does not have an intercooler. Have read in several places that intercooling is not necessary with Meth injection...

Maybe for a race only car that is run at 1/4 mile at a time but a street/strip car I believe should have some type of intercooler!
My goal is to freeze the throttle plates wide open cause the intake air is so DAMN cold! Air to water, ice box, meth injection and a 125 Shot of JUICE will do it!! haaaaa

Last time I seen the purple duster I could swear it had an intercooler on it in front of the radiator, but I could be wrong.

Maybe for a race only car that is run at 1/4 mile at a time but a street/strip car I believe should have some type of intercooler!
My goal is to freeze the throttle plates wide open cause the intake air is so DAMN cold! Air to water, ice box, meth injection and a 125 Shot of JUICE will do it!! haaaaa

Last time I seen the purple duster I could swear it had an intercooler on it in front of the radiator, but I could be wrong.

I would ditch the nitrous plate, you wont need it. I would then **** (thats right I said ****) the hat to the side and redo that awesome tubing you so painstakingly mocked up. Thats my life in a nut shell.

Just spoke to her a month a 2 ago, no intercooler. Spoke to one of the local shops here in Washington about my Dart a while back, he told me pretty much every car he builds just uses meth injection. Just saying, people that build these cars for a living are saying to use meth injection. My car, after paint, will be back burnered for a while so we can finish our house. And when I get back to it very well might use my EFI Hemi crossram manifold, with a twist http://www.thesuperchargerstore.com/scarterphoto.html. But with a power level more in line with http://www.thesuperchargerstore.com/ken miller.html . Time will tell........

I would ditch the nitrous plate, you wont need it. I would then **** (thats right I said ****) the hat to the side and redo that awesome tubing you so painstakingly mocked up. Thats my life in a nut shell.

I already did **** it and have the tubing cut. It looks really fugly to me so I Re did it and want to try and run it straight in. The spacer is for mock up only and only IF it needs a some Juice, it will be pulled out. I don't believe it will need any juice in it either.

Check out these video's..........spooling turbo with Nitrous. Slow the Video Down so you can read the captions.
I seen this guy run at Barona last Saturday. Damn car is FAST! Scary up top and all over the track but he stays in it! I would chittt myself for sure. He was running 5.70's all day. I guess he has had it in the 50's. DANGGGGGGGGg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXFmNHlK9YI&feature=related"]YouTube - Small BUICK V6 Spooling a GIGANTIC 91mm Turbo[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYsqF88qCvQ&NR=1"]YouTube - The Ultimate Turbo Anti-lag System[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meBFoNQ1Y-g&feature=fvw"]YouTube - Discovery of the Nitrous / Methanol Drag Turbo Anti Lag System[/ame]

Just spoke to her a month a 2 ago, no intercooler. Spoke to one of the local shops here in Washington about my Dart a while back, he told me pretty much every car he builds just uses meth injection. Just saying, people that build these cars for a living are saying to use meth injection. My car, after paint, will be back burnered for a while so we can finish our house. And when I get back to it very well might use my EFI Hemi crossram manifold, with a twist http://www.thesuperchargerstore.com/scarterphoto.html. But with a power level more in line with http://www.thesuperchargerstore.com/ken miller.html . Time will tell........

You have some serious plans for your car, Dangggg!

Louis,
looks like the EV hat is taller than the one I have!! It may be in your best interest to get one from ebay. Its a Spectre 9849.. Cost $69 plus shipping and is a good solid piece that clears the carb.. Only thing is that it has a 4" flange.

As far as the little shot of N2O, tap a nozzle into the backside of the hat! I think a 75 shot would work just fine to help spool those turbo's!

Louis,
looks like the EV hat is taller than the one I have!! It may be in your best interest to get one from ebay. Its a Spectre 9849.. Cost $69 plus shipping and is a good solid piece that clears the carb.. Only thing is that it has a 4" flange.

As far as the little shot of N2O, tap a nozzle into the backside of the hat! I think a 75 shot would work just fine to help spool those turbo's!

How tall is your Hat? It is squared off also and on A Body's the rounded off hat would work better and have less chance of hitting the factory hood.

I would need the LOW PROFILE hat if I switched it out, Specta makes it. It is the Little sister to the Dual Inlet Low profile you see in the picture.

The reason I got the Extreme Velocity Hat is because it is Rated #1 for Street Driven cars that need to Idle correctly. I have heard that other styles of Carb Hats for the street create a turbulance in the Hat and throw off the ability to tune for good street manners. These are not my words so I do not have first hand knowledge of this........

If I need to switch it out I will, but only if I absolutely need to.

Well with my resistance to running a hood scoop or cutting up the car to run this Carb Hat, I have been doing some digging around with going EFI.

I may be purchasing the Mega Squirt2 and setting up a 90mm Throttle Body direct port injection.
I found out that the Mega Squirt will control everything I need without even using any MSD Ignition Controller and the Price is RIGHT!!

1) Mega Squirt 2 kit " assembly by me" $253.00 with Black Case
http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/...le-efi-system-pcb30-kit-black-case-p-119.html
2) 4 Bar map sensor upgrade $65.00
http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/mapdaddy-bar-map-sensor-with-barometric-correction-p-117.html
3) 90mm Throttle Body $125.00, TPS Sensor $30.00, air Temp sensor $25.00
4) 8 160lb hr injectors $560.00
5) Wiring harness $65.00
6) 8 Fuel Injector connectors $65.00
7) Throttle Body elbow Edelbrock $100.00
8) Misc stuff I am forgetting $100.00
9) Edelbrock Fuel Rails $115.00

This is right at $1488.00 Total so far!!
I could buy the unit already built for another $158.00

Carb Cost is $950.00 From CSU
MSD 6al2 digital programmable unit $348.00
3 Bar Map Sensor for Boost $80.00
Extreme Velocity Carb hat $220.00

Total $1598.00

Does this make sense or am I tripping out??

Here is my question that Matt has answered for my particular build.

Question is in RED and the answer is in BLUE

On 12/3/2010 10:07 AM, Louis Cruz wrote:
Technical: Mega squirt 2

I really want to convert to EFI for my Twin Turbo Small Block Mopar project and
need to know if this is a stand alone EFI controller or does it allow for
Ignition Tuning also? I need to know what to do to control the Timing when on Boost.
I am confused, do I need to have a seperate Ignition Box such as and MSD6-2al
Programmable unit??
I need a 3 step ingnition controller with BOOST Retard 1) Burn Out 2) Launch 3)
Nitrous

I am ready to make the change as soon as I find out more information.

Please let me know.

Thanks, Louis

On Dec 3, 2010, at 11:08 AM, DIYAutoTune.com Sales (Matt) wrote:

Hello Louis,

The MegaSquirt can control ignition timing as well as fuel. I have an article here on how to make it work with factory (and many aftermarket) Mopar distributors.

http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_articles/how_to_megasquirt_your_vintage_mopar_engine.htm

The ignition timing is tuned with a table that lets you specify the timing in degrees as a function of RPM and MAP sensor reading (boost / vacuum) so this handles boost retard and even lets you use different amounts of boost retard at different RPM if needed. It is also possible to use an input to retard timing under nitrous use.

The MS2 only has a two-step rev limit - regular and a burnout or launch rev limiter. MS3 has three stages.

Thanks,

Matt Cramer
DIYAutoTune.com Support

Yeah,
I read that site too! Good stuff! You can also use a function to run the fuel pump instead of a controller. Thats another few hundred bucks!! GO FOR IT!!

My budget is already blown by a grand! I will be doin my own carb for now. When-if I can find employment maybe I will upgrade to DIY EFI!

Yeah,
I read that site too! Good stuff! You can also use a function to run the fuel pump instead of a controller. Thats another few hundred bucks!! GO FOR IT!!

My budget is already blown by a grand! I will be doin my own carb for now. When-if I can find employment maybe I will upgrade to DIY EFI!

Member Turbocuda is doing one on his build thread right now!

I dont have any experience with Megasquirt system but it does look like a nice set up. I tuned my Accel DFI myself, but it is D.O.S. based (yeah that old) and it is one step up from a hammer and chisel. It did work really well for me though, although I am having trouble finding a replacement lap top to run it! I dont think you can go wrong with EFI, except when something goes wrong it can be BRUTAL to diagnose. My friends 1400hp Procharger set up had issues with a HUGE stumble on launch and it took months to diagnose. He ran the FAST system which is really user friendly, I liked it.

I dont have any experience with Megasquirt system but it does look like a nice set up. I tuned my Accel DFI myself, but it is D.O.S. based (yeah that old) and it is one step up from a hammer and chisel. It did work really well for me though, although I am having trouble finding a replacement lap top to run it! I dont think you can go wrong with EFI, except when something goes wrong it can be BRUTAL to diagnose. My friends 1400hp Procharger set up had issues with a HUGE stumble on launch and it took months to diagnose. He ran the FAST system which is really user friendly, I liked it.
The best thing about MegaSquirt is that the owners and creators of the system have a forum to discuss it and any problems they have:cheers: Pretty badass in my opinion

Purchased the 90MM Throttle Body, 90MM Throttle Body Intake elbow, Fuel Pressure Regulator, & Fuel Rails. I have a shopping cart almost filled for everything needed to get the Megasquirt 2 EFI/Ignition control set up. I need to talk to DIY and make sure I have everything that I need for what I am doing and if I am getting things that I don't need before I push the button and have it delivered.

I also found the Super Victor Intake Manifold with the Injector bosses on it for about $50.00 Cheaper than Summit right here!

http://www.ajusa.com/details/index/405/0/0/EDE 28155

I know you already purchased the MS stuff, but FAST just released an updated version of the xfi http://www.fastmanefi.com/

I haven't bought it yet, need to talk to the sales rep first.

The Fast system seems nice but it is out of my price range. The Fast System would cost 2 or 3 times as much as the MS2. Still not sure how it will tune itself with a Boosted application though. There are some very good review's for the MS system. I think it should work out just fine for what I am doing, we shall see!

I am going to buy the one that needs to be assembled. This should help me understand how the system works from top to bottom before the engine goes to the dyno.

Should call Richard at Fastman and speak to him about the boost stuff. Might also want to check into Holleys Dominator system. Can download the software to mess around with it. Everything I have read on it has been positive. Supposed to be very user friendly. Has boost controls built in, provided you use Holleys soleniods....

Should call Richard at Fastman and speak to him about the boost stuff. Might also want to check into Holleys Dominator system. Can download the software to mess around with it. Everything I have read on it has been positive. Supposed to be very user friendly. Has boost controls built in, provided you use Holleys soleniods....

I just added up the cost and I made a mistake. The FAST system is 5 times the cost as the MS2!
Way out of my price range!

How many BARs is the Megasquirt map sensor? Just curious how much boost you're going to run.
I'm running MS2Extra on my naturally aspirated small block and getting one together now for a 3G Hemi . I don't think you'll be disappointed.
-Jon

How many BARs is the Megasquirt map sensor? Just curious how much boost you're going to run.
I'm running MS2Extra on my naturally aspirated small block and getting one together now for a 3G Hemi . I don't think you'll be disappointed.
-Jon

Did you buy it assembled or put it together yourself? Just curious to hear how hard or easy it was to do.

It is a 1.5 Bar Map good for 21lbs of boost. You can switch it out to a 4 Bar for another $65.00.

I will be running 15 lbs max. If I go any further I will upgrade to the 4 Bar.

I bought it assembled and used one of the DIYautotune harnesses. Personally, I think that money is well worth it.
-Jon

-
Back