Twin turbskies!!

-

Iwannabefast318

Reaction score
Anybody out here on the ol forum know what it'll take to run some mild boost action??
318 la mopar, 1983, completely stock except an intake and fitech efi combo(I know current setup is absolutely garbage for hp) but, would would yall do to make this thing hit 600whp?? Thinking heads,cam,new rods, pistons and maybe 15 or 17psi. Definitely lmk if this is unrealistic bc I can get my hands on a 6.2 ls for 1500 bucks...but the control pack and tuning software would be an additional idk maybe 2grand.

You will easily have 2+grand in parts to make the power you are looking for,and still be risking grenading.

yeah it'd be a real chore with the LA.

You could build a 440 for it. just sayin'

Youll have about 2g in just the rotating assembly for forged, depending on size turbos/waste gates, blow off valve, piping for which ever intercooler air/air or air/water, new converter you'll be up towards $10,000 in parts maybe including efi I would think, can you weld? What exhaust manifolds were you planning to use? Even after the engine is done transmission will need to be built to handle it, better drive shaft, what rear end do you have? Even going LS the price will add up due to getting a Chevy transmission, all the custom mounts, plus controllers for the engine and youll need a tuner for it as well. It can be done just depends on your budget, can get the same results with a single turbo that would cut some cost down.

Last edited:
They do so many LS engines because of four bolt mains and it really does hold together a stock bottom end with single turbo but when you put in twins on one especially quality ones like terminetics and not eBay crap you'll blow the heads off the thing

Keep the boost on the lower side like 6-7 psi, the stock engine may last for a while.
at 15 psi, things don't play nice, unless a lot of money is spent.

They do so many LS engines because of four bolt mains and it really does hold together a stock bottom end with single turbo but when you put in twins on one especially quality ones like terminetics and not eBay crap you'll blow the heads off the thing
Actually 6 bolt mains. There are cross bolts from outside the block. Gen 3 Hemi's have 2 bolt mains with cross bolts.

Actually 6 bolt mains. There are cross bolts from outside the block. Gen 3 Hemi's have 2 bolt mains with cross bolts.
Yes they are strong, a buddy has a 5.3 with a T75 single turbo, on a low buck build, it just stays together, it made 699 at the rear wheels on the local dyno. Another buddy has a stroked BBC with twin T75's, it made 702 rear wheel on the same dyno.
The limiting factor is the fuel injection, it costs big bucks to upgrade from where they are now.
One is running FI-tech, the other Holley Sniper.
Both are running low boost, under 10 psi, they are still like ice-skates on the street without slicks.

What vehicle? You’ll spend a good chunk on fuel delivery regardless of the motor you install or build.

6 bolt mains. Some have cross bolted mains too.

Single vs parallel twins mean nothing without looking at compressor maps.

500hp is doable in a stock bottom end,but you have to have all the safety measures in place and keep the boost low.
I know.

20170830_183843.jpg

Anybody out here on the ol forum know what it'll take to run some mild boost action??
318 la mopar, 1983, completely stock except an intake and fitech efi combo(I know current setup is absolutely garbage for hp) but, would would yall do to make this thing hit 600whp?? Thinking heads,cam,new rods, pistons and maybe 15 or 17psi. Definitely lmk if this is unrealistic bc I can get my hands on a 6.2 ls for 1500 bucks...but the control pack and tuning software would be an additional idk maybe 2grand.

What's your goal?
Specific et? Bragging rites? Tire smoke? Shredding transmissions?

Are you going turbo either way, or would you drop the $1500 on turbos in lieu of the LS? Your original post is a little vague.

What's the total budget to get from where you are to where you want to be? Because either route is probably going to need a whole new trans/clutch or converter/driveline/rear end too.

The bottom end is way more capable than people give credit for.

Run main studs and good rod bolts, make sure you have ample ring gap 0.030 min.

Be extremely conservative with timing, ensure plenty of fuel delivery.

If you think you'll hit higher boost for extended periods of time then you should upgrade the valves. But doubt you are thinking this.

Do all of this stuff and the thing will live with 600+ hp for a long time.

If you really don't believe this, check this guy out. He's been running 10s in his truck for quite a while. Lots and lots of 1/4 mile passes, on a completely stock bottom end. Completely stock!

https://youtube.com/@ThatTurboDakota

-
Back