Twistgrip's 69 F3 340 GTS Resto

-

Twistgrip

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I will post pictures and updates during the rebuild of my 1969 340 GTS. Car is a F3 green, black bucket seat, manual disc, AM/FM, 4 speed car. Has not been on the road since 1974 and bought out of storage. It has numbers matching engine and transmission but no build sheet and fender tag is partially rusted away. My goal is to build it like we drove in high school, straight from 1977. I will not change anything that will require much effort to return to stock. Biggest mod will be big bolt pattern axles and discs for the kelsey hays calipers. Enjoy the show!:happy1:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 1,522
No dust water blasting

Attachments

• image.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,161
Your right, it's a great shop but not mine. Car is at a friends shop a couple miles from my house. He does restorations and customs and is extremely talented. I worked for 20 years on rotating 12 hour shift and had plenty time to do restorations in my own shop. Now I am on Monday-Friday job with a 60 mile commute each way, no time to do major projects, heck...no time to even clean my shop. Feels very strange turning over a major restoration to someone else, only good thing is i can go by and visit it often. I'm doing smaller jobs like front end, rear end, brakes, small part restoration, etc...

Inner fender replacement.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,106
Looks like a pretty solid start, beautiful car when done. It sure is nice to have friends to help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just a picture to give you some more ambition Git her done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1579.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 1,051
Beautiful straight car, HotRod Power Tour starts in Baton Rouge next year...I have a goal. A friend of mine drove to Wisconsin and back on the tour this year in his 67 Cheby Impala convertible. Nice but still just another 350 Chevy.

Right hand floor needed replacing so...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 1,046
Her bottom is covered again!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 956
The only rust mine had was the passenger side front floorboard. The replacement was high quality and made that job really easy. your car looks pretty solid compared to a lot that I have seen, But the guys on this site make it look easy. Great progress!!!!!!

Starting tear down on my engine. Forty or so years partially disassembled makes an engine a mess, everything locked. I have been soaking it in Kroil for the last three months and I'm hoping it has helped enough to allow the Pistons to be driven out the bottom of the bores. I don't plan on using anything but the numbers matching block and factory X heads. Block was definitely blue or turquoise from factory, more pictures to follow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 901
Only two rod bolts, (one each on two different rods) remain.They are shrouded by the block and I haven't been able to get a wrench on them. Still not rotating. Next step may be to set it on ground upside down and use wood dowel to drive the six Pistons that are free out of the top of the block and then use same to drive two remaining pistons down to rotate crank a smidgen. Here is better shot of top showing the turquoise original paint.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 880
-
Back