Twistgrip's 69 F3 340 GTS Resto

-
If the bracket is in decent shape I would be thankful. IM me a picture and price including shipping.

My Dart had been stored for many years, the Louisiana inspection sticker on the windshield was from 1974. The seller told me it had belonged to someone in the service that had moved around some before storing it at his Dad's house in Louisiana. He supposedly settled down somewhere else and decided to sell the car from his Dad's house in the early 90's. Sadly I do not have his name or any other information about him.
The car Had an old "Honest Charley's Speed Shop sticker under the hood on the right inner fender, air shocks and clamp on helper springs, very early 70's.
It also has a small faded dealer plaque riveted on the GTS trim panel above the trunk key hole from Hutton-Scott Dodge in Charlotte NC. The dealership is no longer in business however Scott Jaguar is a continuation of the original company. I have researched the dealership and found that it sponsored Buddy Baker in a Raymond Fox owned 1965 Dodge for the 1966 Charlotte NASCAR race. The car led 36 of the first 51 laps and retired with a blown engine.
As I am building it as a late 70s street machine, I have a duplicate Honest Charlie sticker and plan to restore the trunk panel with the dealership plaque. And of course a set of air shocks however I can't bring myself to add any clamp on springs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 524
I bought my first car, a 1973 Dodge Challenger in 1976. I will try to scan a few pictures of it soon as well as some of my later cars. 1976-77 was about the time centerlines came out but they were not popular yet. Does anyone remember the staple rims from the mid 70s?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 500
twistgrip , i'll shot some pics of that engine block , but have not got the hang of this site posting them . but could email them . were and what should i be looking for on my block ? i found the car at a salvage sell on a navy base here in the oakland , ca yard . it was an left by the owner for scrap i guess , it was complete less carb and aircleaner and hammered body . a couple of fenders a door and glass , but still in oem paint . i'm very interested in finding out about this 340 motor , had it built and ready to assemble .

If you have a picture just use the additional options menu in the thread reply/start menu to upload. We should move this discussion to the technical forum for small block engines. Try to start a thread there with your question. If you still can't upload the picture send me one of the engine casting numbers and I can post it for you. twistgrip1@yahoo.com.

Right rear quarter installed, no more major metal jobs!!! Ready to start body work.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 417
Why do pictures sometimes post upside down?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 395
working to get it nice and straight.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 387
i apologize for my response , and apologize for being dumb to my own stuff , dug it all out to shot pics , just to find i was mistaken on my 340 block , its just two bolt'r . at the time all this rebuilding come down to a bunch of us 340 guys got several motors togo to the machinist as the same time for a price break on parts and setup time . i just was wrong about my motor , that 4 bolt'r was my friends aar 340 6 bbl block , even called him about it , its been 30 plus years ago . he said ,'' who , what 340 ! , your more-off then on '' then lol . well that told me to check before i leap . thought i had something special here . forgive me please . oh ya , then he told me that i should have bought his aar , it sold for @ $3500 , with a fresh 340 6bbl 4spd . i still kick myself !

No apologies needed here, any way you look at it having a good 340 block is still something special for most of us. Capable of holding together with all the horsepower most people can handle in a street car. We all have stories of the one that got away so I know the pain, mine was the 383 convertible 1970 Cuda that a friend lost interest in and sold for a song. Or maybe the numbers matching 1971 Cuda with shaker that I sold myself.:banghead:

You know, I don't have a good answer to that question. I bought the complete trunk pan to replace mine, and I suspect it did not come with the bracket much like it did not come with the tank strap mounts that are welded underneath. I think the bracket was repurposed from the old trunk floor that came out of the car. I actually have another spare tire well out in my garage with the bracket still mounted in it. I would be happy to cut it out and send it too you if you need it.

I can't thank 1969VADart enough! He cut out this bracket and sent it to me free of charge, incredibly genourous. :eek:ccasion::eek:ccasion::eek:ccasion:

View attachment image.jpg

Now I have a spare tire bracket in my trunk, yea!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 352
Now I have a spare tire bracket in my trunk, yea!

Glad it worked out.

Interestingly while getting that bracket for you I realized that the guy that welded my bracket in the tire well put it in backwards. So now we have to either cut it back out or figure out a work around.

I love it when paint flows, my friend Trampas started spraying color today.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 382
Starting rebuild of the front end suspension, please ignore the clutter. Too many projects and tools, it's overflowing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 382
Looked at some posts on here and liked the tool 67Dart273 made to pull UCA bushings. So I bought a 1 1/2 x 1 1/4 pipe reducer and ground down a portion.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 329
Used 1/2 x 4.5 grade 8 bolt and lots of washers. Ready for use. Had to pull in against rubber then added a couple more washers before using impact. Worked like a charm.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 339
Trunk is done!

image.jpg

Used a bedliner type material to help with road noise, it's tough too.

image.jpg

Front end rebuild continues, PST kit came with newer strut bushing, held up until new ones arrive.

image.jpg

-
Back