Two direction tach

-

cuda65vpt

cuda65vpt
Reaction score
Anyone need to race backwards?

$_12.JPG

My ex wife could. You should see her back out of the driveway.... No breaks between reverse and drive..... Just shocks the drivetrain....

Industrial drive tach. There are internal combustion engines out there that are designed to run both directions. Typically, this was more common before people really started getting into fancy transmissions, before the automatic transmission was in common use as well as other types of transfer cases and gearboxes that allowed industrial equipment to have multiple speeds in both directions.

We had a Yamaha three wheeler once, with all forward gears, not reverse. We accidently wound the starter rope on the spool backwards. We pulled it and it started right up. LOL! When we put it in gear it took off backwards.

That is for the tractor in the pull contest that is loosing. :)

I think youre all full of crap lol!

If the engine is running backwards, why would the tach? Since a tach only measures the frequency at which the ignition coil is grounded? Or how many times a crank/cam/distributor trigger is fired?

Industrial drive tach. There are internal combustion engines out there that are designed to run both directions. Typically, this was more common before people really started getting into fancy transmissions, before the automatic transmission was in common use as well as other types of transfer cases and gearboxes that allowed industrial equipment to have multiple speeds in both directions.

There still exists both steam and marine diesels which run either way. Some boats / ships have no neutral or reverse. You simply stop the engine and start it the other direction.

Early Mercury outboards did this as well Some of them had TWO starter motors. My Dad's old boss went for a ride (he sold Johnson) with the competing 'Merc guy who wanted to show off. Came roaring up to the boathouse, and the damn thing would not start in reverse. Damn near went through the rear of the boathouse. This was in the late '50's

Stuff like the old "hot bulb" or "semi" diesels with run either way

Reversing diesel

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmpY8dlw4QE"]Washington Diesel direct-reversing Tug Arthur Foss - YouTube[/ame]

It's a tach for if you cross the equator. The toilets swirl in the opposite direction below the equator, so do the engines....

If the engine is running backwards, why would the tach? Since a tach only measures the frequency at which the ignition coil is grounded? Or how many times a crank/cam/distributor trigger is fired?

Once upon a time, there were these wires, known as cables.

There still exists both steam and marine diesels which run either way. Some boats / ships have no neutral or reverse. You simply stop the engine and start it the other direction.

Early Mercury outboards did this as well Some of them had TWO starter motors. My Dad's old boss went for a ride (he sold Johnson) with the competing 'Merc guy who wanted to show off. Came roaring up to the boathouse, and the damn thing would not start in reverse. Damn near went through the rear of the boathouse. This was in the late '50's

Stuff like the old "hot bulb" or "semi" diesels with run either way

If it works, I don't see why you couldn't keep using it! Reverse start engines can be kind of dangerous, depending on their use. That's another reason why they are typically seen in the industrial field. I can see how it would help a bunch with marine, because of the direct drive.

This is known as "fun at the docks" LOL. That is when they don't start when ya really need 'em

Lots of ways to operate a tach besides off the coil. Some marine tachs for things like 2 strokes and diesels operate off the AC ripple frequency of the alternator. They have to be calibrated to this, and of course if it's belt drive, you don't want the belts to slip

But this is, I'd bet, a flexible cable drive, just like a speedometer. Of course modern speedos aren't cable drive, anymore, either.

"Back when" some of us were playing with early CD ignition, and I could NOT get a tach to work right off one, I had a Joes / Motrola cable drive tach in my RR

(and yes I spelled that correctly)

These were also sold under the Moon and Moroso name, and probably others, similar to this

1374.JPG

LOL
That one is mechanical drive, I assume it runs on something like a speedo cable.

Mechanical tachs.... I'll be damned. Learn somethin new everyday. So i guess the cable had a pinion gear and it probably meshed with the cam?

On "stuff" you're used to, IE cars and trucks it was almost always a drive out the side of the distributor. On my 70 RR "back before" all this stuff got to be collectable, I scored a hemi (fits 440) factory tach drive, dual point Prestolite distributor. These also had a ball top bearing.

attachment.php

attachment.php

My ex wife could. You should see her back out of the driveway.... No breaks between reverse and drive..... Just shocks the drivetrain....

About the worst thing you can do to a transmission.

the 2-stroke golf car engines ran one way in forward and the other way in reverse. Mechanica ltachs are very common on industrial engines and diesel engines.... (no dizzy on a diesel... at least not on mine)

My '72 Datsun 240Z has a cable feed tachometer from the factory. It bounces all over the place, though, so I'm probably going to upgrade the back to a solid state electronic type with the stock face.

Lots of ways to operate a tach besides off the coil. Some marine tachs for things like 2 strokes and diesels operate off the AC ripple frequency of the alternator. They have to be calibrated to this, and of course if it's belt drive, you don't want the belts to slip

But this is, I'd bet, a flexible cable drive, just like a speedometer. Of course modern speedos aren't cable drive, anymore, either.

"Back when" some of us were playing with early CD ignition, and I could NOT get a tach to work right off one, I had a Joes / Motrola cable drive tach in my RR

(and yes I spelled that correctly)

These were also sold under the Moon and Moroso name, and probably others, similar to this

1374.JPG

Its "Jones"

Attachments

• 100_4873.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 280
-
Back