Two General Questions about my 1974 Dart

-

sneke_eyez

1974 Dodge Dart 2dr 318V8
Reaction score
Alright, I am unsure if this is exactly where these questions go, but I consider them to be general, if not, just politely call me a dumbass and tell me where to post! :read2:

My Dart needs a new windshield.
I have a lead on a windshield from a 1975 Dart 4dr that is a good price, but the seller says it only fits 4dr cars.
Was the windshield really different from a 4dr Dart to a 2dr Dart?
They seem the same to me...

My Dart needs a new driver's side fender.
It has a fiberglass passenger side fender which is great quality and fits perfectly.
It includes a used, decent, steel driver's side fender in the purchase, but I think if I'm going to replace the fender, I'd rather just get a fiberglass fender and do it right, that way it will never rust again.
However, I've tried to find a supplier that sells fiberglass fenders for the 1974-76 style Darts and have had no success.
Does anyone know where I can find a supplier online or in my area (New England)?
I intend to ask the seller if he knows of a supplier, as I vaguely remember him mentioning finding a supplier when I looked at the car on Sunday.

Thank you very much for your help!
I appreciate it!

Bump, with another question attached:

Whats the basic process involved in a swap from a console automatic shifter to a floor mounted automatic shifter?
Thanks!

First the windsheilds are different. Changing the console includes R&R of the tunnel or welding mounts, steering column and sourcing all the linkage. Not sure of sources for those years.

Thank you!
I hadn't noticed your reply before.

Ok, so, ixnay on the 4dr windshield.

I'll have to figure out what I need exactly for the console swap.

And I'm still on the hunt for a fiberglass driver's fender I guess...

I may be wrong, but I believe the 67 to 69 fenders are the same besides the marker light compared to the 74 fender! with it being fiberglass someone could have just installed the 74 style marker light if this is the case and this being said your fiberglass fender may have been sold as a 67 thru 69 basic fender where you would have rework the fiberglass to add the correct marker light for the year!

Im thinking I seen a post here on FABO where someone was asking if the fenders on thier mid 70's Dart were the same as the 67 thru 69 besides the marker light!

AAR makes good fiberglass fenders for 73-76 dusters. Try an autoglass place they may have winshields, you'd be surprised with what they have!

I may be wrong, but I believe the 67 to 69 fenders are the same besides the marker light compared to the 74 fender! with it being fiberglass someone could have just installed the 74 style marker light if this is the case and this being said your fiberglass fender may have been sold as a 67 thru 69 basic fender where you would have rework the fiberglass to add the correct marker light for the year!

Im thinking I seen a post here on FABO where someone was asking if the fenders on thier mid 70's Dart were the same as the 67 thru 69 besides the marker light!
Reaaallly, oh, ok.
Hmm, that explains some things, like why I only see fiberglass front fenders for the 67-69 Darts. :p
Thanks for the info, I had wondered if that was the case.
I'll call up year one or somebody and make sure thats the case, then I'll look up some places that sell them.

@IllDuster: the 73-76 Duster has the same fender correct?
I am pretty sure they do...
Also, a cursory search brings up no company called AAR, am I just missing it?

As for a windshield, I do have a lead on one now for what I view as a decent price.
We'll see if I feel like putting one in myself or simply paying $$$ to have it done.
I'm not quite sure what a windshield install involves though, so we'll see.

@IllDuster: the 73-76 Duster has the same fender correct?
I am pretty sure they do...

If you are asking if the duster fenders are the same as your dart....they are NOT the same. different wheel lips. they will bolt on, but you will have to change your grill to a duster one, as well as the hood. the hole front clip is different.

Phil

If you are asking if the duster fenders are the same as your dart....they are NOT the same. different wheel lips. they will bolt on, but you will have to change your grill to a duster one, as well as the hood. the hole front clip is different.

Phil
Ahh ok.
Damn.
Guess I'll have to go with the 67-69 fender then and modify the light hole.

@doktor_x: Thanks for the link!
I must have missed it last night when I google searched.

Ahh ok.
Damn.
Guess I'll have to go with the 67-69 fender then and modify the light hole.

@doktor_x: Thanks for the link!
I must have missed it last night when I google searched.

I would do some good research on those fenders to make sure that they are the same. I have a fealing that they are NOT, But I am guessing. It wouldn't suprise me though. dodge and plymouth had interchangable parts with different years. example 1969 barracuda hood is the same as a 1973 and up dart hood. go figure.

can you Pm me if and when you find out if the fenders are the same. that would be good to know.

make a new post for the fenders question...someone here should know. then again, sometimes you have to figure things out for yourself ;)

Phil

I would do some good research on those fenders to make sure that they are the same. I have a fealing that they are NOT, But I am guessing. It wouldn't suprise me though. dodge and plymouth had interchangable parts with different years. example 1969 barracuda hood is the same as a 1973 and up dart hood. go figure.

can you Pm me if and when you find out if the fenders are the same. that would be good to know.

make a new post for the fenders question...someone here should know. then again, sometimes you have to figure things out for yourself ;)

Phil
I'll make a new post momentarily.
Its definitely something I want to find out, so even if I've gotta call every supplier around, I'll figure it out.
Funny, all this damn research for a fiberglass driver's fender... too bad I'm too picky to get a steel one. :p
Sok though, I'm perfectly ok with it!

hey im picking up a 74 dart on sunday i plan on parting it out do you still need that windshield or anything

Dart fenders are tricky.
Here is a breakdown on them.

67-69: SAME stamping. 67 has NO side marker lights or holes to mount them. 68 has round side marker lights. 69 has rectangular REFLECTORS.
70-72: SAME stamping. 70-71 has rectangular flush mounted side marker lamps. 72 used a new corporate side marker light shared with several other models.
73-76: Exterior stamping is identical to a 67-69 model, yet there are several differences. Corporate side marker lamp in all years. Headlamp bucket is moved slightly from the position held in the 67-69 fenders making a direct fit difficult. You can cut and move the headlamp mount within the fender though. 1976 models had a slightly different mount on the right fender for the antenna.
NO Plymouth fender interchanges.

Dart fenders are tricky.
Here is a breakdown on them.

67-69: SAME stamping. 67 has NO side marker lights or holes to mount them. 68 has round side marker lights. 69 has rectangular REFLECTORS.
70-72: SAME stamping. 70-71 has rectangular flush mounted side marker lamps. 72 used a new corporate side marker light shared with several other models.
73-76: Exterior stamping is identical to a 67-69 model, yet there are several differences. Corporate side marker lamp in all years. Headlamp bucket is moved slightly from the position held in the 67-69 fenders making a direct fit difficult. You can cut and move the headlamp mount within the fender though. 1976 models had a slightly different mount on the right fender for the antenna.
NO Plymouth fender interchanges.

You are 100% correct, i couldn't have said it better myself.
The ''corporate'' side marker he refers to is the plastic ones that attach to the fender and sticks out a bit like on your car as it is now.
All chrysler products used them from '73 and up so they are easy to find, you can probably buy them at your Chrysler dealer new. I don't think they are very expensive either.
On another note, unless you really know what you are doing when installing a new windsheild, it's better to take it to a glass shop and let them do it. Find a glass shop that really knows how to install one in an older car or it will probably leak. Buy the windsheild from them and get them to install it is your best bet.
Good luck.

I had a set of fiberglass fenders on my first dart I ever bought I think I threw them out, let me check

On another note, unless you really know what you are doing when installing a new windsheild, it's better to take it to a glass shop and let them do it. Find a glass shop that really knows how to install one in an older car or it will probably leak. Buy the windsheild from them and get them to install it is your best bet.
Good luck.
Even then it MIGHT leak, both the windshield & back glass leak on my car. New gaskets/glass and someone who has been installing glass for decades.

-
Back