Type - F Transmission Fluid.

-

guzzimike

Reaction score
My '68 Dart's 727 Torqueflite was shifting a bit slow on the 2-3 shift when shifting manually at about 5500 RPM. Following some Friend's advice, I flushed out All of the existing Dextron fluid and retrofilled the transmission with Type - F tranny fluid.

The idea was that the Type F fluid, being less slippery than Dextron, would result in faster, stronger shifts.

Just got back from a "shake-down" cruise and the tranny shifts most excellent in manual mode now...:-D

Even the full auto shifts (Shifter left in "D", engine at WOT) occur more crisply and a bit farther up in the power band ( +5000 RPM instead of 4500 RPM)...

I am very happy with this result and thought I would pass it on...8)

Type F is actually recommended with the B&M shift kit in the 727 we have in the Dip.

Type F is actually recommended with the B&M shift kit in the 727 we have in the Dip.

Makes sense...someone told me that the B&M "Trick-Shift" tranny fluid is actually Type-F of a different color.

my transmission builder uses type F and 1 qt of 30wt oil in it.
have it in both of out drag cars. 1 runs 10.48 and the other runs 11.90's have had 0 trouble with either. hard shifts at 7000rpm for both.

Yea the type-f gives you good firm shifts, But in the long run it burns the bands and cluthes up premature. I use to use it but after burning up a couple trannys My trans guy said the type-f was causeing it type-f is not as slippery causeing friction thats why it shifts firmer but not for long.

maybe that is why my tranny guy adds 1 qt of 30wt to the type F?
not sure. but i have never had any troubles and it was in my 360 street car for the 7 years i had and drove it with no troubles.

Yea the type-f gives you good firm shifts, But in the long run it burns the bands and cluthes up premature. I use to use it but after burning up a couple trannys My trans guy said the type-f was causeing it type-f is not as slippery causeing friction thats why it shifts firmer but not for long.

I've been running type-f in all my street/strip cars for like ever,not one issue that can be atributed to the fluid type...

I use Amsoil synthetic in my trannies. I don't use a cooler on the race car and the Amsoil lasts forever. Mineral oil lasts about 25 passes. The Amsoil will also add about 200 RPM's of stall speed to the converter.

-
Back