U-bolts

-

chrille164

Reaction score
Hello! I got a question. I have a 8 3/4 rear end and i bought new u-bolts for it on ebay but i think the ones i got are to wide.
rear end is 76,2mm thats 3", the u-bolts i got from ebay is 82mm about 3,2" wide.
I tried another set from a moparshop and they measure 80mm about 3,15" wide still think they are kinda loose when you just hang them on shouldnt they be just a little tight over the rear end tube?
Anyone know what the correct width is?

Thanks in advance :)

It is just www.amkproducts.com. They have all kinds of neat original bolts and such. If you order anything, ask for their paper catalogs. It's nice to know that a person can get all of these correct bolts.

It is just www.amkproducts.com. They have all kinds of neat original bolts and such. If you order anything, ask for their paper catalogs. It's nice to know that a person can get all of these correct bolts.
All I found were "master bolt kits" and I don't need every dang one. lol

I think they have two different catalogs now. You have to look for individual bolt selection. The U bolts are B-11502 for the 6 5/8 inch and B-11503 for the 7 1/8 inch. They are 24 dollars for two u bolts, they have the correct deep locking nuts available also.

I think they have two different catalogs now. You have to look for individual bolt selection. The U bolts are B-11502 for the 6 5/8 inch and B-11503 for the 7 1/8 inch. They are 24 dollars for two u bolts, they have the correct deep locking nuts available also.
Thanks. I like the idea of the flat checkered u bolts, but I gotta say, I'm not sure they are "correct" as you say. I've been working on cars a very long time and I have never ever EVER seen those type U bolts on an original Mopar. Certainly though, they are a good upgrade, especially in high horse power applications.

Then Chrysler must have installed the flattened bolts only in certain parts of the country, because everyone I have taken apart has had the flattened gripper bolts. Chrysler started using them back in the 1930's All of my 38 Plymouths have had them.
Thanks. I like the idea of the flat checkered u bolts, but I gotta say, I'm not sure they are "correct" as you say. I've been working on cars a very long time and I have never ever EVER seen those type U bolts on an original Mopar. Certainly though, they are a good upgrade, especially in high horse power applications.

Then Chrysler must have installed the flattened bolts only in certain parts of the country, because everyone I have taken apart has had the flattened gripper bolts. Chrysler started using them back in the 1930's All of my 38 Plymouths have had them.
Stop it. Get outta my head. I was gonna come back and add it mightta been a location thing. LOL I've seen it on other cars though. Just no Mopars. Weird.

I don't know. Ford used them also-just the flattened with no gripper pattern on them. I know that I have seen quite a few axle tubes actually pinched by the round bolts

My '70 340 Dart has them.

Many years ago, I would buy them from the Chrysler dealer, then NS1, then I bought them from Mancini and somewhere along the line they started sending me just the regular round U bolts. So its nice to see they are available again from Mancini.
So does Mancini.

My '70 340 Dart has them.
Well, that might splain it. I've had a 340 Charger and a 440 RT Charger, but never tore into the rear suspensions. I wonder if it was a performance thing? That would kinda make sense. Either way, I think it's a good upgrade. It'll help keep the rear axle from rotating, plus, the flat bend distributes the load better and helps keep axle tube crush from happening. That's my story and I'm stickin to it. lol

-
Back