U-joints: are 7290 necessary??

-

ms2420

Reaction score
Getting ready to measure for a new driveshaft. The old one had the 726 universals as do the pinion yolk and trans yolk. My question is are the 726 universal joints strong enough or should i be looking to upgrade to the larger 729? Im running a 440 with around 500 HP. Anyone had the 726 U-joints break? I really don't want to replace the pinion and tranny yolks.

I really don't want to replace the pinion and tranny yolks.

There are conversion U-joints available to go from 7260 to 7290. For example, if your pinion yolk is 7290 and your driveshaft is 7260, just get one of those.

Its a 727 Tranny, 2500 stall I believe. Thanks guys. Think I'll have the new drive shaft accept the 7290 U-joints and run the conversion joints until i have the money to upgrade the tranny and pinion yolks.

I would want the larger U joints also. We get much better traction from todays tires. Todays U joints can be cheap chineese crap too. Good luck

Just an example for ya' i was running 7290 joints in my duster with the 520 h.p. 416..i snapped all the wheel studs off the driverside then twisted the driveshaft right out of the rear yoke when the straps broke...i now have Moser axles with 1/2" studs, a custom 3" driveshaft with 1350 yokes and a billet pinion yoke,and no more problems breaking anything in the drivetrain..your going to be making some power and trust me it will find the weak link in your drivetrain...

-
Back