ujoint stiffness?

-

Rapid Robert

Reaction score
I just had my driveshaft shortened/balanced. the ujoints in their travel seem way too tight but they told me that is OK, I've seen others that are smooth all the way thru. what do you guys think? & if I need to do something on this? thank you for your time. RR

They shouldnt be stiff. When i install them, most times a few light taps with a hammer around the driveshaft at the cap area will relax that stress and free them. Of course, if they were assembled dirty, rusty, wrong stuff, etc.....then nothing will help. I think in some cases, they will seat in and free up anyway once you run them.

When I replace U-joints, I always seat them by driving the cups outward so the clip fit tight against the driveshaft ears. To do that, I use a vice as an anvil. Open the jaws until it's the right width to catch both ears on one plane and smack the driveshaft with a rubber mallet right on the end of the tube where it's welded to it's half of the yoke. Flip it over and do the same to seat the other cup. Rotate 90 degrees and do the other plane the same way. That should free them up. If not, it may be that the ears are bent in a bit, or, there may be a burr or some slag keeping the clip from seating against it's ear. This applies to the standard and common internal clip type U-joints, but, a similar procedure will work on the external clip type joints too.

very good info. I will get after it, thanks guys. RR

Just FYI, I also tap each cap loop once the clips are in.
Yoke and shaft both.
It helps center the caps and take the stress off.

One thing a lot of people overlook is putting the yoke back on in the same orientation it was removed.
Believe it or not it can make a noticeable difference in the balance.

one thing I read from way back is to orient it so the zerk is being compressed rather than pulled apart. keep stress crack from starting I would assume. RR

one thing I read from way back is to orient it so the zerk is being compressed rather than pulled apart. keep stress crack from starting I would assume. RR
Robert, you keep asking questions about this thing.....I'm assuming this is still your dirt track car? We love answering questions and discussion but know what we love more? Pictures! How bout postin some pictures of this bad boy. We'd love to see it!

there ya go bro. side issues are a major distraction right now. RR

SAM_1330.JPG

SAM_1325.JPG

SAM_1330.JPG

-
Back