ULTIMATUM For those of you following my resto saga

-

daves66valiant

68 Dart 340/727:66 Signet Vert 340/5spd: 68 D100
Reaction score
For those of you following my resto saga...............

I had given my painter the ultimatum Monday that I needed an answer by today. Well I just got off the phone with him and he said the earliest he can get a booth is Tuesday in the barrio of East LA. He said if Tuesday rolls around and the car is not painted then he understands if I must take the car to another shop to be painted. He's feels bad about it but it is what it is and I can't be strung along any more. Their are no hard feelings and he would feel the same way if it was his car. So, He confesses to not holding up to his end of the bargain and only has himself to blame. The car was on a silver platter so to speak compared to cars from the east coast that have tons of rust. Mine had absolutely ZERO, ZILCH, NADA, ZIPPO. Only the drivers rear quarter needed some attention from a previous accident where the previous bodymen did an impeccable job.

So, here is the dilemma. Do I just pull the car now or let him finish the job if he gets it to the booth on Tuesday. The car will have the final prep done. It will just need to be feathered, tacked and shot. I'm wondering what would be the cost to just shoot the basecoat/clear coat and color sand the body, all panels and misc. parts, etc. I already have the paint mixed up. I'm guessing $1000-2000. What do you guys think a reasonable price would be? Opinions please.

If I do pull the car, he and I will transport the car to the place of my choice. I have a place in mind already.

HELP: WHAT ARE YOUR OPINIONS ON WHAT I SHOULD DO? :dontknow:

Dave

Dave, i would give until Tues. At this point, whats a couple more days, and if it happens then it would most likely be your quickest way having it done. I really hope it works out for you. Mike

I agree with Valiantmike, Just let him have it a few more days. You brought it to him, probably cause you liked his work. So let him finish it. Maybe you can squeeze an extra coat of clear outta him , for free or something along those lines. Good Luck and remember Patience grasshopper !

Hi Dave - New member here, also in SoCal. I'm looking around for a body and paint guy for my '69 Dart. All the ones I've talked to so far are very 'proud' of their work. The body is really pretty straight but does have a couple of issues that need to be cleaned up to get it to what I want. Also need a new trunk floor as I see a few pinholes through the spare tire well.
I'm interested in what you're having done and what the ballpark price is.
Good luck with whatever your decision is.
Do you know of anyone good in OC for frame connectors and minitubs?

Agree on a day and stick to it. If you have paid for the paint, make sure you get it as well. I am sure you are on a budget, but perhaps it is time to get some estimates from "storefront" shops. At least you will then have a basis for comparison if you chose another independent guy.

I guess I am a little philosophical here. You get what you pay for...usually. That being said, a couple of the best A&P aircraft mechanics I have ever met worked "out of their trunks" and would come to your hangar or tie-down. But to me bodywork is like engine machine work. I am not opposed to spending my hard earned cash for quality work, as I have neither the technology nor talent to accomplish professional quality work. A professional paint and body shop which specializes in custom or restoration work will not come cheap, but they will have a reputation to uphold, and should deliver the agreed upon product on time. Sure they might cost more, but hey just how long do you want your car to be in somebody's uninsured shop? Paint is flammable right?

I think you have given your body guy the benefit of the doubt, and he has certainly tried. Part of the mark of a true professional craftsman is, in addition to turning out quality work at a fair price, admitting when you have bitten off more than you can chew and referring your customer to another craftsman who can perform the work to their satisfaction, even if that other craftsman is your direct competition. This can be a bitter pill to swallow if you are working hard trying to build up a business, but business is business. Stringing a customer along is just plain bad busines. Besides a desperate individual is far more likely to rush the job and stick a customer with unsatisfactory work, just to get "the monkey off their back". I am not saying your body guy would do this. However he is obviously struggling and it may ultimately be better for all parties concerned if you were to take your work elsewhere.

Well since I talked to you earlier, I agree with the others, if she's not shot by tues pull her & if the other place you told me about is to busy give me a call & hopefully I can help get color on her. Talk to you later, Russell

Dam Dave,This guy has been giving you the run-around for too long.
Not sure if I would be able to trust him any longer.
It's up to you,but I probably would have pulled the car looooooong ago.
Hope you get it figured out.

John

I`ve got my fingers crossed for ya` Dave! It`s been a long time :clock:, lets hope you don`t get :angry7: and say:thebirdm: to your painter. He started it and it would be nice for him to finish it.

I would be very upset if I were you, and you have been patient for so long. But maybe give him until Tuesday before you pull it.
Bob

I would be very upset if I were you, and you have been patient for so long. But maybe give him until Tuesday before you pull it.
Bob

I agree: wait until Tuesday. If nothing good comes of it, pull the car. But return later with friends to help him dial for an ambulance when he's unable to pick up a phone due to shattered bones....

I'm sure there are honest, competent body guys, some of who may be board members. But for the most part, body shops are the universal pain-in-the-*** of a cars restoration process. Personally, my car is going to shop #3 once she's running. Body shop #2 F`ed up my front fenders where my headlight doors won't fit. And I left the doors with the Bastard so he could "check his work..." And don't get me started on my wheel well mouldings....

Yeah, I got a screwing too Dave. I'm just waiting for some time to pass before I get my restitution from that prick...

Monday I need to talk to a few other shops that will paint my car just in case. Thanks for all the advice. I could go either way at this point and I'll know more by Tuesday I guess.

Hindsight is that I should have pulled the car a long time ago.

I agree: wait until Tuesday. If nothing good comes of it, pull the car. But return later with friends to help him dial for an ambulance when he's unable to pick up a phone due to shattered bones....

I'm sure there are honest, competent body guys, some of who may be board members. But for the most part, body shops are the universal pain-in-the-*** of a cars restoration process. Personally, my car is going to shop #3 once she's running. Body shop #2 F`ed up my front fenders where my headlight doors won't fit. And I left the doors with the Bastard so he could "check his work..." And don't get me started on my wheel well moldings....

Yeah, I got a screwing too Dave. I'm just waiting for some time to pass before I get my restitution from that prick...

Damn John I thought you were on the road to happy motoring. That really sucks. I have followed your resto since I joined the site. You have been screwed over a couple of times already. A cool down period would be good. Hope things get fixed to your satisfaction or the bastards get their beat downs.

Keep us updated on how it comes out. I finally got my cutlass back from the bodyguy last Friday(I know it isn't a mopar) and it looks very good. It only took him 15 months!! The guy takes on too many cars to restore on top of the 8 bay auto rapair business he runs. I think a lot of the characters are kind of seedy, par for the course. Good luck!

Well did you pull her out of the guys shop? Did you talk to the other shops you mentioned?

Here's the scoop. I go a quote for $600 from a good shop I know of. I talked to my painter the same day. He says he will have the car in a booth in East LA (the barrio) this Friday all day. I plan on being there if possible. Could possibly have the car home this Sunday. I will keep everyone posted. At least I have a back up plan now and the painter has incentive to get it done.

:cheers:

I (along with everyone else I'm sure) hope that this weekend you will be a HAPPY GUY! It's definitely agood idea for you to be there.. I'd be there at 4am at hishouse with a hot coffee and words of encouragement. Do what you gotta do to get it done perfect. This saga appears to be drawing to a close finally. The only great thing is it looks like you've had the time to get everything ELSE done.

Grant

Yep. Lots of time to get the plan in order. Hope the execution goes off without too many hitches, which i know there will be a few minor ones. It's nice having most things finished and ready to go back onto the car. Especially, the mundane things that you would usually say screw it and say ahh.... it's not a show car it's good enough. I'll be a happy camper if i get it this weekend. Next week I have 8 days off work to spend putting my car back together. Should be fun and lots of pics to follow.

The problem I see in pulling it is you will have limited recourse with a new shop if something screws up with the paint after you take it home. I'd leave it with the first guy and keep pressuring him until he is done. It sucks but that's probably the safer way to go.

I had the same issue with my 73 when it was being painted. Took 20 months before it finally came home. I didnt mind, because I was restoring all the suspension, interior, axle, engine trans etc etc while it was away. When she came home It was install/assemble time !

CAR is BLUE!!!!!!!!!!!! yeah finally. I couldn't make it down to the shop this weekend. I had a wedding to go to. Good thing I steered clear of the garter. :)
Going after work tomorrow to see it. He said there are a few spots he needs to work on before clearing. I'll know more tomorrow and hopefully have to pics to show

:cheers::cheers::cheers:Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cheers::cheers::cheers:What the hell am I gonna do now?

this is too exciting............glad i have my "oops i crapped my pants" on.:-D=D>

-
Back